1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Higer Rates = Lower Values?

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by USPAP Compliant, Nov 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USPAP Compliant

USPAP Compliant Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    North Carolina
  2. spettifer

spettifer Sophomore Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Bob,

I read that article a couple of weeks ago. If I recall the study forecasted if rates went up to 8%, by 2006 home prices in Orange County would fall by 47%. That seems like a doomsday scenero. I don't know if 8% on it's own would impact prices that drastically. I think that unemployment and job quality would be more important. If the economy stops producing high paying jobs or outsourced to India I could see a problem. But if you have a good, somewhat stable job (obviously your not an appraiser) and future prospects are looking good, your still going to want to buy that house on the hill. Jobs, Jobs, and good Jobs that's were it's at.

Scott

3. USPAP Compliant

USPAP Compliant Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    I neither agree or disagree with the story...just thought it was interesting.

We have a generation of people now that have never seen 10% interest rates. That USED to be the majic number. Some of us have seen them over 15% (yes mortgage rates).

It does concern me that we may have potential buyers that will "wait" for the ultra low rates to return. While refinancing will continue it will likely be for cash outs only. Who is going to give up a 5% mortgage for one over 8%?

4. Mike Garrett RAA

Mike Garrett RAA Elite Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    the sky is falling ... the sky is falling!

I remember 17% interest rates for mortgages.

5. Don Clark

Don Clark Elite Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Virginia
    B) Higher interest rates do not in and of themselves equate to unemployment. What typically happens is we price some buyers out of the market with higher interest rates. That does not equate, in and of itself, to less people working. Like several on this forurm, I have seen many highs and lows. When I first got into real estate in 1972 interest rates were at 7%. When "Jimma" Carter was POTUS, some actually went above 20% for a short time. Now that is high interest rates. We have not seen rates as low as they have been in the past 2 years since Eisenhour was POTUS.

Just think, when rates get back around 10% you can appraise all the forcelosures that Ned the number hitter appraised a few years before.

Keep smiling, look for other types of work than mortgage appraisals, and diversify. With just a little training you could be a home inspector.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.