1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Highest & Best Use Verbiage

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by LannyK, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LannyK

LannyK New Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Illinois
    I am looking for comments that people insert in their appraisal reports regarding highest and best use of the subject property. Obviously, I will come up with my own alteration and ideas about the subject but am looking for a good place to start. I will of course include the 4 determinations of HBU being physically feasible, financially feasible, legally permissible, and maximally productive.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

2. Randolph Kinney

Randolph Kinney Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Note: The subject zoning code is PD-1, single family residential planned development Rancho Rel Oro as verified by the city of Oceanside. The subject as improved is a legally permissible use based on its current zoning. The lot size, shape, physical condition and land to building ratio allow the present structure and indicate a good utilization of the improvements. Based upon the current market conditions, the present use as a single family residence is its financially feasible and maximally productive use. The highest and best use is its present use.

3. Elliott

Elliott Elite Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Oregon
    The big 4, put in their logical sequence is all you ever need. AI's course on
    H&B Use should be a requirement before any appraiser gets to go out into
    the real world.

4. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    The requirement is simply to summarize the rationale for the HBU opinion and that can be done in one short sentence for most residential properties.

Other properties may need a little more verbiage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.