1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Home Owner Asked Me "could She Bribe Me?..."

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by Debra, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debra

Debra Senior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Tennessee
    Hello!

I'm booked up for next week and called to schedule with a home owner for the week after next. She asked me if I would take a bribe to come to her property next week? I told her that physically, there was no way that I could do that with the schedule that I already have for next week.

I'm curious though, do ya'll ever get this offer? If you do, do you take the bribe???

2. Randy Beigh

Randy Beigh Senior Member

Jan 16, 2002
    No, never happened.

No. However, assuming she was not kidding, I would call the lender and cancel the assignment as this will be downhill all the way from that point forward.

If she was kidding, no harm, no foul. Only you know if she was kidding.

3. Wendy

Wendy Senior Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    It is called expediting the order. Find the time to sqeeze 'em in and charge extra $$ for it. Your fees are your business and you can charge whatever you want for the extra service. It is not a bribe.

Like the old saying - You get fast, cheap, or quality. Pick any two.

4. Tom Barclay

Tom Barclay Senior Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Oregon
    I would not call it a "bribe", it appears to be a "rush fee" for expediting the order.

5. Couch Potato

Couch Potato Elite Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    Wendy, Its seems that currently everyone is interested in just the first two.

6. Workbox

Workbox Elite Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    I love Rush Orders. $$$$$

7. Wendy

Wendy Senior Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    Greg,

Too true.

8. Randy Beigh

Randy Beigh Senior Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Ok, I will modify my answer.

If the appraisal is being done for the homeowner, then the fees are indeed between the homeowner and the appraiser. If, it was ordered by a lender or someone other than the homeowner, it's a bribe. The contract to do the appraisal was with the lender and the homeowner has no ethical business trying to influence the appraiser.

9. ccooper

ccooper Junior Member

Mar 9, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Missouri
    I explain it to customers as "overtime" pay for working weekends. Weekends appears to be the only time to squeeze them in. I typically double the fee to make it attractive to me.

10. Bobby Bucks

Bobby Bucks Elite Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Real Estate Agent or Broker
    State:
    North Dakota
    This used to be a serious problem during my first full year in the business at a fee shop. I frequently had to file a report with our owner, the lender and occasionally the MLS if the assignment involved a sale. Lord William my mentor accompanied me on some questionable assignments to be a witness and try to determine what was happening, but it was to no avail. Our office manager who used to field all the telephone calls and set appointments was finally able to determine that was occurring were not bribes in a true sense, they were no more than unwanted advances being made towards the appraiser. Housewives have always been a nuisance. Since I left the fee shop and took the lone wolf path several years ago and now bear all responsibility for reports and complaints, I’ve decided that vacant REOs are the ticket. Much less stressful and eventful. A boring day at the ranch is far safer that a hot July afternoon refi on Wisteria Lane.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.