1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

House Moving

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by xm39hnu, Dec 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xm39hnu

xm39hnu Senior Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Professional Status:
    General Public
    State:
    Florida
    Didn't want to hijack the other thread, so I started a new one. This a topic near and dear to me, and needs commenting.

A couple or three decades ago, you didn't need a contractor's license to build a house for someone. So a young redneck would take wood shop in high school, learn how to build a 3/2 rancher of about 1200sf, and go into business building houses. He'd build the same 3/2 ranch house every time, regardless of whether it was one story or three, on bedrock or clay, and without regard to roof area or wind/snow loads of larger GLA homes.

About four years ago, I started trying to get a house mover to move a 1200sf 1950's vintage home further back on its lot to get it away from the high-speed thoroughfare and cure some site grading problems in the process. Interviewed three different house movers, and none of them could/would undertake to do the job. Each had a different reason. In conversation, each of them was discovered to have learned his craft working for the same old guy, who knew how to move one house. As long as the subject was like that house, they could move it for you. Otherwise, the determination was that it "can't be moved."

In the first place, David, you don't place the load on one or two points while jacking--ever! Always four points or more. Two beams, minimum, with a jack at each end. And there's no need to send anybody under the house after plumbing, wiring, and HVAC are properly disconnected--and you do that before your jack up the house. You jack the house, drive the support trailer(s) under it, lower the house onto the trailer(s), and transport. Reverse the procedure at the destination. Once that house is elevated off the foundation, you shouldn't go under it for any reason.

Moving a relatively small frame house isn't rocket science. It can be done with farm equipment jacks and a couple of good steel beams. Moving a 19-th century two-story brick home requires someone with an engineering degree and specialized equipment (hydraulic crawlers instead of trailers and equipment jacks, for example).

Sounds to me like you got a bunch of good ole boys who were trained by the same redneck. Better find someone from another area to take a look at that house of yours, if it's worth moving. I'll bet me and Doug Bingham could do it, if the price is right.

2. Otis Key

Otis Key Elite Member

May 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    New Mexico
    Wait a minute there Jim. I think DB learned from that redneck - I think I remember DB saying he used to ride broncs in the rodeo?! :rofl: :rofl:

It's a darn good thing that appraisers don't all learn from that same "redneck good ole boy". :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

3. David R. Stevenson

David R. Stevenson Elite Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Professional Status:
    General Public
    State:
    Tennessee
    House moving - wow - now thats a great job ....

I have a CBS home with hard terrazzo floors - 2000 sf 2500 total under roof ....

... just off the hip, I'd say the price to move it is too much even for a scrape off lot.

.... materials today are lighter and cheaper .....

.... out with the old .... in with the new ....

... now wood frame with ornamental value .... another story. .....

.... I see 150 year old houses (falling down) - they are beautiful in the fallen down

state - a picture of time made into a park like setting ... and are worth more in-

place ... these old rural farm houses .... owners of large land tracts ... have kept

these as jewels .... not to be traded.... land jade ....

4. xm39hnu

xm39hnu Senior Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Professional Status:
    General Public
    State:
    Florida
    Ahem! ... some of them <have> learned from the same redneck, Otis.

Me and DB can keep each other out of trouble.

A friend will bail you out of jail. A good friend will be sitting in the cell next to you, saying, "Boy, did we screw up!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.