1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

How does your analysis compare to these figures?

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by Mary Tiernan, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary Tiernan

Mary Tiernan Senior Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Michigan
    The link below will lead to a Yahoo article showing the ten metropolitan areas with increases in average sale price over the past couple months.

I'm curious how you from Minneapolis, California (San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco), Phoenix, Denver ,Seattle, D.C., Detroit, and Chicago compare your market analysis with the numbers provided here ->

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/10-cities-experiencing-home-price-rebounds.html

2. Randolph Kinney

Randolph Kinney Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    California
    The low price zip codes have increased in value. However, it is neighborhood specific. I was looking at a combined 3 zip codes south county (south of El Cajon) where homes are 4,000 SF GLA and up. Prices are still falling. Prices were over $1 million, now they are below $1 million. Lots of REO and short sales along with people who want to just get out.

3. jmarch305

jmarch305 Sophomore Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arizona
    Problem is that this is the whole market. Nevermind individual neighborhoods or sub set markets. I don't typically give these things a whole lot of weight they are just to broad to really reference in any report. I have seen neighborhoods that are stable even some that look like they are increasing, but most are still on the decline. recently was at a seminar where a broker (a good one) broke it down by dollar amount and he showed that most everything in the Phoenix area under 150k was stable or increasing in the past couple of months. Everything over that is still on the decline with a pretty large over supply. I try not to reconcile data sources like Zillow in any of my reports.

4. residentialguy

residentialguy Elite Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Minnesota

To me, that data is warm and fuzzy, but pretty useless in an appraisal, imo. These are general overall market and don't represent specific neighborhoods and property types.

5. residentialguy

residentialguy Elite Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Minnesota
    or ditto to what Jmarch said :)

6. vanguard

vanguard Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Minnesota
    The statistics show a downward trend for Minneapolis. Their data interpretation is false. It still is in decline.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.