1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

In Need Of Work...

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Sidney Hoyle, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sidney Hoyle

Sidney Hoyle New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    New York
    I've been appraising for an appraisal firm the passed 3 years. I have my state certification now and would really like to start my own client base. After reading some of the posts here it seems like a daunting task. Where do I begin? I've tried going to a few different links I found in the forum, no luck yet. Does any one know of any companies where I can get steady assignments?? In my search I came across a post where an appraiser says,

and I quote:
    “But don't expect many Appraisers are going to give that info out publicly. There are a lot of people that read this group and never post. If they post their good clients names their competition may read it and steal their client.”

I've noticed that there aren't many formites from my state, I’m in NY, I couldn’t steal the client, or take work away from someone, especially from another state…

Would someone please pass-along a few pearls of wisdom.... A few good leads would be nice too.... ;)

Thanks guys :lol:

2. Ryan Nyberg

Ryan Nyberg Senior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
    State:
    Washington
    Welcome to the forum. Most won't post their best clients directly on the forum for what was described. Even though you might not "steal" their clients some others from their own states might. Look into any local banks. Hit the bricks and talk to potential clients. Difficult to get started much like when you first started as an assistant.

My best advice get listed on appraisersusa.com gets me a few orders here and there.

Also I try not to give out marketing advice cause it doesn't work for me.

3. Darrell Hignite

Darrell Hignite Sophomore Member

Jul 16, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    It's amazing what a dozen doughnuts will do. Pick up a couple of boxes and visit your local lenders in the a.m. Explain your plight and ask them for help... You need work and they have work. It's amazing how many of them will be willing to help you. Advertising will not help unless you do it with a website like appraiserusa.com. Good luck and happy appraising.
    :dance:

4. Claude From NY

Claude From NY Senior Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    Sidney: Well I'm from NY and also work Queens county.

Try contacting attorneys and CPAs in your area for estate settlement, financial planning and tax grievance assignments. Professionals that appreciate professional work. I think you will find it a pleasant switch from the high pressure mortgage world.

5. Sidney Hoyle

Sidney Hoyle New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    Thanks guys for all the replies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.