1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Inspection attire?

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by stangtime, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stangtime

stangtime Senior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Maryland
    What does everyone wear for inspections? For the past 18 years I've almost always worn Dockers or dress pants and a button shirt on inspections. I love jeans, but other than when inspecting during snowstorms I haven't worn them on inspections. Also - shoes, what do you wear? Same story here - I wear black or brown dress shoes. Sometimes I'll keep boots in the car for messy properties.

I have always thought that when I'm out inspecting or driving around I represent myself and my company and I need to look as clean as possible.

If everyone wears jeans maybe I'll do that more often.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Bigrock

Bigrock Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Georgia
    usually swim trunks and my lucky super man t shirt,,,or what ever I leave the bar wearing,,,both work for me,,,,

after all, who really cares as long as I can do the report in 30 minuites, answer the phone 24/7 and only expect 175 a report,,,,

hahahaha

3. Scott R Marshall

Scott R Marshall Senior Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    stangtime,

I have always worn jeans, never shorts. I always wear tennis shoes or boots if the weather warrants it. Shirts have always been either collared or sweaters. I climb into stuff, over stuff and go through stuff during my inspections and I have always thought that wearing anything "fancier" could become quite expensive as dress pants and shoes do not seem as durable. While I have no problem with appraisers who dress up for the occasion, I wonder if they struggle with getting dirty when the situation warrants it because of how they are dressed. Just my 2 cents.

4. Ryan Achenbach

Ryan Achenbach Junior Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    Honestly, it all depends on the assignment for me. If I know I will be going to several conventional inspections in good neighborhoods I will dress as you describe. If I know I am going into a foreclosure or anticipate wiggling into odd areas I take it a step down to jeans but still have a collared shirt and dress shoes.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  5. David Wimpelberg

David Wimpelberg Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Mar 30, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    New York
    I simply dress appropriately to the assignment. Examples,

• If I go to a site where the house is under construction, chances are I'll wear jeans and boots with a dress shirt.
    • If I'm appraising an oceanfront property in August, shorts and sandals may be in order (I'm simply dressing like everyone else).
    • If I'm meeting with attorneys, celebrities, wealthy businessmen, etc. the suit comes out.

6. Metamorphic

Metamorphic Senior Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    California is much more casual. The OP showing up at your door would be overdressed n CA. My tax attorney as often as not is wearing jeans in the winter and shorts in the summer.

Typically in the summer I'll wear knee length cargo shorts, a untucked collared shirt (Columbia, "Fishing Shirt", tame Hawaiian Shirt, etc) and running shoes.

Winter is cargo pants or jeans, long sleeve cotton or flannel work shirt with collar, and some goretex lined chukka style boots. If I'm up in snow country I'll wear whatever the weather dictates including snow shoes.

7. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of the Month

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arkansas
    Hey! We've not had a whatdoyouwear thread in a long time.

I wear my Red Green hat and suspenders :)

actually, i am usually in Khaki - wrangler being my fav and a JCPenney Stratford shirt. I have logo shirts, pin stripe. I might be in Levi's or a cheap imitation thereof, on a farm and I wear walking shoes - black or bone color usually. New Balance are my favorites. Hanes for underwear...when I wear underwear :rof:

8. stangtime

stangtime Senior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Maryland
    Good to know.

Thank you.

Dan

9. David Wimpelberg

David Wimpelberg Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Mar 30, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    BTW, I take my shoes off alot.:)

10. Lost Cause

Lost Cause Senior Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    Overdressed!

Are you kidding me? You wear underwear on inspections?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.