1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Inspection Checklist

Discussion in 'Newbies/Appraiser WannaBe' started by DanWaechter, Oct 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanWaechter

DanWaechter New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    California
    As a newbie I have been trying to locate and/or create a perfect Inspection Checklist and Comp listing that I can take with me on all inspections, just to make sure I dont forget anything. Is there anyone out there who would be willing to share their Inspection Checklist with someone who would greatly appreciate it? Thanks for any help! :D

Dan

2. Liz South

Liz South Junior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Virginia
    Maybe I'm overly careful but I just copy page 1 of the URAR and use that and then graph paper to sketch the property. That way I figure that I can't forget something when I am out inspecting. This method has always worked well for me. I use a highlighter to highlight special sections (ie HOA dues) that I need to specifically ask the homeowner.

The use of graph paper allows me to make sure that I have measured correctly while still in the field. It's bailed my butt out several times when I have written down an incorrect figure.

Alamode now allows use of "pocket total" which I am switching to, however I still like having a paper report to work from also.

Liz S.
    Grateful that fall is now here.

3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Georgia
    Ditto, the front page of the URAR.

When brand new in the biz, I would yellow highlight the subject property section, to force my eyes to that part of the form, and so that I would get all of the notes and check boxes correct.

Now days, I have a mental default and jot down only the differences.

4. Tater Salad

Tater Salad Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Missouri
    Dan--

What's your e-mail address? I have a form that has all of the field info from page 1 of the URAR with graph paper in the mid-section, so that I don't have to flip back & forth between my sketch and my notes.

I use this when the house is too big to squish into Pocket Total.

5. DanWaechter

DanWaechter New Member

Aug 26, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Thanks for your responses. My e-mail address is dan_waechter@hotmail.com. Thanks for your assistance and I look forward to seeing your checklist. It sounds great. Yes, I definitely wanted to get something I could work with UNTIL that time when I can upgrade and buy my Pocket PC and Pocket Total!

Dan

6. Doug Smith SRA

Doug Smith SRA Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Montana
    I have a check list in Pdf format, I would be glad to send along. I received it from a posting and the author is, sadly without, attribution.

hotelman@montana.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.