Interactive appraisals.

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by stangtime, Oct 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stangtime

stangtime Senior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Maryland
    This may really be a little overboard but I've wondered about this ever since reviewers started reviewing appraisals electronically. I've wondered about the viability of hyperlinks placed in the actual appraisal report that would be connected to video taken at the property during the inspection. The hyperlinks could also be connected to other pertinent data about the report; ie., nearby sounds, views, activities? Or links to recent documents stored online about the subject neighborhood.

Would something like this help, hurt, or just provide more rope inwhich to hang the appraiser?

I guess it would be more like an appraisal presentation than a 2D document.

Crazy?

Dan

2. Green Hornet

Green Hornet Senior Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Washington
    Years ago, when World Savings had it's appraisal department, a similar question came up. They encouraged us to send, as a separate file, videos of external obsolescence such as the 6 lane highway, airplane flying overhead, etc. I am not sure if anyone actually did this.

I think that this idea could lead to a robo appraiser. What is the definition of a physical inspection? Strap a web cams to the foreheads of runners. We could view and control 20 inspections from the comfort of the office :)

3. Rich Heyn

Rich Heyn Senior Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Michigan
    Not crazy at all, it's a cool idea that I think CANative brought up some time back. Problem is, you have to make sure the link will be kept active for 5 years.

4. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arkansas
    And then it becomes a stip......

5. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    I just opened the experimental interactive report I was playing with a few years ago. All but one of the links still works but the information in some of the others has changed a bit.

I think you would have to make sure that the report stood on it's own with just the narrative and the links just augmented the summary.

I'd post the working copy but it's 1.7 mb which is too large for the forum. If anyone wants to play with it just PM me with your email address.

6. The Argus

The Argus Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    Our company thought of recording our inspections on video a few years back. My partner recorded an inspection but the idea of implementing the concept into our reports never grew legs.

By the time folks in our profession allow fees to be driven down to $75 per report it will likely be a Fannie Reqirement. LOL (sort of)

7. stangtime

stangtime Senior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Maryland
    Hey, Greg. 1.7mb is smaller than most of my reports. Can the links be set up to work right out of a PDF?

Dan

8. stangtime

stangtime Senior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Maryland
    Jay - I usually do a little video during my inspections just to fill in my memory or in case any still shots don't come out well. Sometimes I clip a little stick cam to my belt too. Interesting stuff.

Dan

9. Rich Heyn

Rich Heyn Senior Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Michigan
    So how do you handle the 5 year workfile requirement, given the typically fragile nature of hyperlinks??

10. Josh Shapiro

Josh Shapiro Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    Now it is just one more thing that they will REQUIRE without paying for....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.