1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Is opposing attroney entitled to my work file?

Discussion in 'Commercial/Industrial Appraisals' started by Robert Dunkle, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Dunkle

Robert Dunkle Senior Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Oklahoma
    Was giving deposition on a case that is going to trial and the opposing attorney asked for my workfile, complete. This was a complicated report and I have about 400 pages of information in the file. Are they entitled to my file without a court order? My client is the attorney for the side I am working for and they are listed as the only client and intended user.

2. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    California
    No one (even the client) is entitled to your work file (unless it is a restricted use report.) Except for State enforcement agencies.

3. Michigan CG

Michigan CG Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nov 1, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Michigan
    NO!!

Do not bring the work file to any court proceedings.

4. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Agree. 400 more pages of things to pick apart. "Ah, I see you stated that the property has a 50 gallon water heater. But we found it was a 40 gallon water heater. What else is incorrect?"

5. Privateer

Privateer Junior Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Professional Status:
    Banking/Mortgage Industry
    State:
    California
    Sounds like you were hired as an expert witness by the attorney for one side. In general, if the other side has served a proper subpoena demanding product of the work file (and the court has not issued a protective order or you've not properly objected to the subpoena . . .), the other side will be entitled to your work file. The starting point for a discussion about the legal issues involved should be between you and the attorney who hired you. However, you should keep in mind that that attorney does not represent you.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  6. Walter Kirk

Walter Kirk Senior Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    New Jersey
    If you were hired by an attorney and the attorney is the intended user your report as well as your work file are attorney work product and may not be shared with anyone without the attorney's specific permission.

7. GregoryK

GregoryK Junior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Tennessee
    Not sure what the rules of discovery are in your state. I would defer that to a professional there. I do know that if you bring your workfile to court, and even if its in your briefcase - it can be entered into evidence. I saw this happen once, and I can see when it could be very embarassing, especilly if that new issue of Playboy had arrived in the mail that day!

Good Luck!

8. Don Clark

Don Clark Elite Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Virginia
    Not without a court order. If the court orders it I would request payment for it.

USPAP page U-9, Lines 275-282

9. Joyce Potts

Joyce Potts Elite Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    Guys, get technical all you want, but if you don't bring your supporting documentation to the deposition:

1) It looks unprofessional, if not foolish and speaks to your credibiity.

2) I can't believe your subpoena wasn't Duces Tecum and if not, you'll probably get another one anyway.

10. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    The support is in the report Joyce, unless it's a restricted use report. No one, even the client, has a right to the appraisers work file.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.