1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Is This A Bedroom?

Discussion in 'FHA/HUD and VA' started by Greg davenport, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg davenport

Greg davenport Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Arkansas
    Ok HUD does not give a definition of a bedrooms, but does say this
    Now the problem.
    These are the only types of windows in this "house"
    (The house started life as a metal building)

Can any room in this house be called a bedroom?
    Or am I reading too much into the window thing?

Attached Files:

2. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Are those fixed windows?

My copy of 4150.2 states "All bedrooms must have adeqate egress to the exterior of the home. ... Occupants of a bedroom must be able to get outside the home if there is a fire.

3. Marcia Langley

Marcia Langley Senior Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Missouri
    Ditto Greg,

FHA requires operable windows for emergency egress. This would be a repair item.

4. OK ! so cost to cure would be to hang a hammer next to the window right!

or for the danger impaired how about a sign that reads!

IN CASE OF FIRE-- BREAK GLASS

Hall

5. john eickhoff

john eickhoff Junior Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Banking/Mortgage Industry
    State:
    Texas
    I got written up once by FHA for not making a repair requirement on a garage conversion where it had fixed windows and only 1 door. Like Greg said, this is a safety factor as far as FHA is concerned.

6. Jim Onderisin

Jim Onderisin Senior Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    You might be working this too hard. Based on what I can see in your picture, in an emergency I'd be through that window in 15 seconds or less without hurting myself.

7. Greg davenport

Greg davenport Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arkansas
    I searched the "new" 4150.2 for the keyword bedroom, and I never did find that statement. Where is it, am I missing some pages?

I had my doubts that it could be called a bedroom, but it is a HUD REO, so it had to have bedrooms at some time. (unless someone missed something.)

I belive you, I just was not able to find this in the 4150.2.

I guess where the hang up on this is for me is that fact that FHA already loaned on this property with the windows like they are. If this was not a REO, I dont think I would be so confused.

IF windows can not be opened=safety issue. Then why did FHA accept this property in the first place?

8. Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arizona
    Just because a home received FHA financing in the past does not make the home currently eligible. The property has to meet MPR today--based on your observation and research. If you are doing a FHA REO appraisal--they you would note that the property is uninsurable because of the lack of egress for the bedrooms. Then when the home is placed on the market, a potential buyer would either have to pay cash or apply for a different type of financing. Take lots of photos and have lots of description in your report.

9. john eickhoff

Apr 17, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    JoAnn is 100% correct. The house could have been changed from when it was insured or the appraiser failed to report it properly when it was appraised. You need to report to FHA what you see and back it up with photos. Just because the other appraiser made an error doesn't mean you should compound it. Give FHA the facts and let them sort it out.

10. john eickhoff

Apr 17, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    Not to beat a dead horse but, here are some reference materials: 4150.2, paragraph 3-6B6, page 3-17 and Mortgagee Letter 2005-48 under examples of property conditions that may represent a risk to the health and safety of the occupants...the 1st item listed is: Inadequate access/egress from bedrooms to exterior of the home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.