1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Is this a sump pump?

Discussion in 'FHA/HUD and VA' started by BJ, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJ

BJ Sophomore Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Illinois
    Hi guys, I'm really glad this forum exists because I'm stumped and could use some advice. I recently received a FHA assignment with unusual circumstances. A conventional appraisal was done that states the basement bath was hooked up to a sump pump, which was in turn hooked up to the sewer line. Well that is strange, bc most time you see a sump pump directing the water outside, not to a sewer line. A tag states that the pump is a ridgio aqua pro 1/2 hp residential sewage pump. I can't find anything about that model on google. Anyways I inspected the property and can't tell if this set up is correctly. The basement bath was just put in by a remodeling company a few years ago. The cover has a slight opening and I can see the float that activates the pump. However, I see standing water, that the float is on. Its a few inches below the cover and does not appear sanitary to me. However, I'm not an expert and was hoping somebody could clear it up for me. I am not sure how the rules are about posting photos and if that would be a uspap violation.

Thanks for your help

BJ

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  2. Rich Hahn

Rich Hahn Senior Member

May 2, 2003
    Professional Status:
    General Public
    State:
    Colorado
    PUMP station, lift station, to get the fluids up above sewer line level.

3. Thomas Fiehler

Thomas Fiehler Senior Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like a sump pump to me. Do you have a photo? Both houses that I have owned with a sump pump discharged to the outside and not to a sewer. In fact, in my area that would be illegal to do so.

4. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Here's a picture of a sewer pump (sewer ejector system). There will always be something in the pipe going up to the sewer. There is a valve that keeps this stuff from going back the other way. The float switch operates this valve and keeps the pump from running 24/7.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  5. Webbed Feet

Webbed Feet Elite Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Mr. BJ,

Post the pic. A pic is not your confidential conclusions AND it is YOUR intellectual property. None of us will know what property goes with the pic. I think you're safe... ;)

Ok, a lesson in gravity. Crap runs downhill, not uphill. IF the sewer lines are uphill from the basement, and to get the crap to run downhill it has to be pumped at least up to the main level of the home so it will, ya have to pump it! If it's legal for the house to be connected to the sewer lines, it's legal to pump crap up hill in order for it to flow via gravity to the sewer. If not, one would have to let it go downhill, most likely illegally, so the downhill neighbors can enjoy it.

I find the issues with such setups is codes typically require such items to be hardwired to the electrical system. Not "plugged" into an outlet or hooked up with an extension cord. In far too many cases I find out somebody did the later and not the former. If your case is not hardwired to the electrical system slap a CB4 - EA backed required inspection by Jurisdictional Authority staff for proof of permits and safety inspections.

It's not a bad idea if there is something that allows for a power outage and the kids keep flushing the toilet, a bad combination. But this may or may not be required by code.

Webbed.

P.S. You need to find out if this is for a water problem in the basement or for pumping sewage from the bathroom. Either way, most J.A.s will have code it has to be hardwired. But if it's for a water problem a pest and dryrot inspection would be a good idea.

6. JoTetherow

JoTetherow Member

Nov 29, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Nebraska
    we had a toilet put in our basement a few years ago. since the basement is lower than the sewer lines a special pump-up toilet was installed. it kind of sits up on a platform and whn ya flush it goes into some holding tank that when full discharges automatically into the sewer lines, very common in this area.

i am not a plumber

7. Thomas Fiehler

Thomas Fiehler Senior Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like the description is for a sump pump and not a sewer pump. There sshould be a round "crock" that holds water with a removable top. Inside the crck will be a small pump. There will likely be water up to a certain level and when water enters the crock it is discharded. My last house discharged under a deck and my current house discharges into the back yard and out a "dry creek bed" we built.

8. Wendy

Wendy Senior Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    Was this done by permit? If so, contact the local building inspector and describe what you are seeing.

9. Ken B

Ken B Elite Member

Feb 18, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    A "lift station" for sewage lines below the main waste line are typically grinder pumps. They do exactly what their name states. As they move waste water, they are connected to the property's waste line.

http://www.wsscwater.com/info/grinderpumpqa.cfm

Sump pumps are more typically used to remove "clean" water that may collect in below grade areas. As this water is not waste water, it is typically discharged to an open area outside the improvements.

The biggest concern with a sump pump is what can happen if power is lost or cut off in a vacant property.

10. BJ

BJ Sophomore Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    Here are the pics of the pump. The bathroom is behind the wall on the left. And to answer two questions on this thread. It is plugged into a wall outlet. No permit was pulled for this job.

BJ

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.