1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Just Purchased Vault

Discussion in 'a la mode (TOTAL)' started by Don Clark, Jul 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Clark

Don Clark Elite Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Virginia
    B) Just purchased a new PC, was dreading having to reinstall all the associated software. Then I read about Valut. I loaded Win Total on the new PC, purchaed Valult for $129.00 and loaded on both the old and the newv PC. Then I sent my current preferrences to Vault from my presnt PC, then retrieved my preferrences from Vault to my new PC. Now I do not have to relaod signatures, etc. Cool. :cool:
    And, I can store up to 1,000 reports on Vault.

I am storing all my files for 2005 on Vault and will retrieve them to my new PC as I need them. Thank you Alamode :beer:

2. Rick Neighbors

Rick Neighbors Senior Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    Good idea! I am thinking of adding a lap top, mounted in my truck, to take my office with me. That would be a great way to transfer files. I will have to check that one out. But, as I have an in house wireless system, and recently changed to a new wireless internet service, I think I can do the syncronize thing. Don't know for sure.

I had dropped Vault as I had a dial up internet service, and it was faster to just burn a CD backup every week and carry it down to my bank safe deposit box. Now the box is full of cd's.

Rick :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3. Will43

Will43 Senior Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Ohio
    I bought the Vault about 5 months ago.

After computer problems, I decided this would be a nice way to back everything up and keep my preferences. :cool:

4. Roy Spidle

Roy Spidle Junior Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Colorado
    I did not renew my vault this year (just because I don't have the money) but let me clarify this a little for ya.

You don't actually get 1,000 reports saved on the vault server. What you get is 1,000 transfers/updates. I found this out when I went in and looked at a few old appraisals I had done to get some invoices printed to re-bill (30 days late). The vault saved these as if there was a change made.....and guess what, that comes out of your 1,000 files deal.

Not saying it's a bad thing, just don't think that 1,000 reports will be saved for ya. If I had the money I would do it again. Well worth it if something goes wrong /nod

-me

5. Tim Hicks (Texas)

Tim Hicks (Texas) Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    Well, I keep a 1,000 files on there. Every time I get a call saying I am getting low and how about buying more space, I burn a CD and delete older files. Thanks for the monthly sales call and CD burning reminder Alamode.

6. Peter LeQuire

Peter LeQuire Elite Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Tennessee
    I've also put my older appraisals on CDs, in order to save Vault space. Part of the process was moving the older files to folders that don't go to the Vault: I don't delete appraisal. I find that, the older the appraisal, the less likely I am to need to go back to it, and having it on a CD is no big deal.

7. Don Clark

Don Clark Elite Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Virginia
    B) Just to update on how it works. Retrieved some files this AM, after retrieving my preferences the other day, and everything is there, works like a charm. Hey, for $129.00 is is a bargain and saved me from having to set up signatures, etc.

8. Jungle Boy

Jungle Boy Senior Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Real Estate Agent or Broker
    State:
    Florida
    What happens if you don't renew your account year after year, do you lose access to those files ?

9. Peter LeQuire

Peter LeQuire Elite Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Tennessee
    Raimo -

You should have them in your computer and wherever else you store them: the Vault is there, primarily, in case you lose your computer

10. Jungle Boy

Jungle Boy Senior Member

Oct 30, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Real Estate Agent or Broker
    State:
    Florida
    Thanks Peter

My question is, if you don't pay your dues each year, do you have access to the files if you lose your computer ?

Raimo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.