Look At This "appraisers" Site

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Lysander in Charlotte, Oct 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lysander in Charlotte

Lysander in Charlotte Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    North Carolina
  2. Carnivore

Carnivore Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    There is a catch here I think. It must be in the cash payment prior to the inspection or at inspection. I wonder on the new construction how he manages this 24 hour turn time. I go through hoops on many of them just getting sale info because GIS is so far behind. Seems like I am always chasing someone for info.

I am with you, I can not garantee 24 hours. 48 hours I can do fairly well, but not 24 consistently.

He is competing direct with me and lysander. I am located in 28277 and there is a lot of easy work here. Especially condos, and some tract home. This zip is one of Charlottes High End markets and so it takes awhile to measure but its easy to drive around here during the day.

Its just me and one trainee. I like doing inspections one day and turning in the reports over several days. Especially when there is upcoming bad weather.

3. Ryan Nyberg

Ryan Nyberg Senior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
    State:
    Washington
    Seems pretty quick. Wonder if he is busy or how many people work for him? I say 1-2 business days after inspection. Since I can not gurantee when someone will let me in. Or that I will be in the area.

4. leelansford

leelansford Elite Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    It is best that none of us put anything too specific in writing, but...seriously, what do you REALLY think re: "24 hours"?
    No need to post a reply. Some times I can read minds and I know what you're thinking.

5. Tom McDowell

Tom McDowell Member

Jan 19, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
    State:
    North Carolina
    I wonder if the 24 hour or free claim doesn't violate USPAP under the contingency part?

6. Nancy Wyatt

Nancy Wyatt Senior Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    I am wondering if the 24 hour thing violates any states laws. I bet it does.

He has not taken a clsass since 6/03.

Time for a USPAP update. No USPAP since 1992! He is a bad boy.

7. leelansford

leelansford Elite Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    Tom, I don't believe that the "contigent upon a subsequent event" provision applies here.

The applicable USPAP section would be (see the 2004 USPAP) page 8, "Management" (line 277).

Next, see lines 286-287: "It is unethetical for an appraiser to accept an assignment, or to have a compensation arrangement for an assignment, that is contingent on any of the following:
    (lines 292-293) 5. the occurence of a subsequent event directly related to the appraiser's opinions and specific to the assignment's purpose."

The appraiser is risking his fee specific to meeting a deadline and I don't see this as related to his "opinons" or the "assignment's purpose."

--Lee Lansford, IFA
    AQB Certified USPAP Instructor

8. DB

DB Elite Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Tennessee
    I noticed that he has a link to the Forum on there too ....

9. Timothy Wixted

Timothy Wixted Junior Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    According to the website, the 24 hours is from the time of inspection, not receipt of the order.

10. Ray Miller

Ray Miller Elite Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin
    What is the fee with value or with out value mean?

He could be pushing appointments out a week or more, gathering the information, doing the inspection and sending in the report within the 24 hour after inspection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.