1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

MAI Comprehensive Exam Review Courses

Discussion in 'Appraisal Education' started by TianaR, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TianaR

TianaR New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    New York
    Hi All:

I am an Associate member within the Appraisal Institute and have started to take steps toward my MAI. I spoke with them today and they had mentioned that there is an MAI named Ted Whitmer who holds seminars/review courses for the comprehensive exam. Has anyone heard about the course? Is it useful; basically I want
    to know if its worth the time and money money to take it. Any guidance is appreciated!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  2. donniebravo

donniebravo Sophomore Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Massachusetts
    I was wondering the same thing... anyone order the study materials only from whitmer?

3. MAIorBust

MAIorBust Junior Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    I know a guy that took it and it really helped him. I got the following e-mail today.....

We can make arrangements to offer Ted Whitmer's Comprehensive Review Course in the Jackson area June 12-15, 2011. These are the only dates that Ted is available before the Comprehensive Exam in late July.

Many of you have requested that we offer this course that is designed to help you make a passing grade on the Comprehensive Examination.

The registration fee will be $550.

We must have firm commitments from at least 20 participants in order to offer the course. The commitments must be firm and I have been instructed not to count maybe's, I'd like to attend, etc.

Please let me know by Tuesday, February 22nd.

Thanks,

Roy D. Caves
    Mississippi Chapter

4. GroundSwell

GroundSwell Sophomore Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    I took Ted's course and it was helpful, but it's not for everyone. Ted's a very intelligent guy and tends to move very quickly. I liked him, but I think he can rub some people the wrong way. Just be sure not to bring up baseball or politics. :)

By far the best part of the class are all of the sample questions you get. They give you an idea of the level of difficulty and complexity you'd expect to see on the comp. In the end, I passed all four modules, but Income portion twice. Best of luck to you on your MAI endeavor.

5. Kali the Boston Terrier

Kali the Boston Terrier Senior Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Michigan
    I took my USPAP instructor course with him, and I took his course to help me pass the comprehensive (which I did). I liked it, but it is not the end all for studying...you will need to use the Course materials from your classes to pass it with the practice tests Ted provided. Really you should plan on taking the course a week or two before the exam, you will forget a lot by the test day.

6. Greg Graybadger

Greg Graybadger Sophomore Member

Jun 28, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Idaho
    Our Chapter of the Appraisal Institute sponsored Ted Whitmer's seminar "Attacking and Defending an Appraisal in Litigation," which received positive reviews from both appraisers and attorneys. He conducted his comprehensive exam workshop immediately afterward. I heard several comments that it was very intense and very helpful. See his website at
    http://www.tedwhitmer.com/compworkshop.html
    or
    http://tedwhitmer.com/

7. Jason Jackson

Jason Jackson New Member

May 16, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    I just ordered his materials and passed everything on my first try. If you can master the questions in his stuff, you should pass pretty easily. If you're still a little weak on all the math stuff, I'd go to the class. He's the best at just getting you to pass the test.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.