1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

makes my day

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by DianaOKC, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DianaOKC

DianaOKC Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Oklahoma
    You know those streets and houses you go by and think -hope I never get that order? Well we have several streets that are four laners with the speed limit at 35 or 40 or 45 and they just happen to have houses that face the street. Not many but about 10 or 20 depending on the neighborhoods. Every time I drive down one of these streets and see a for sale or sold sign I just jump for joy and think -yea a comp! Or maybe that funky flat roof house in the middle of a neighborhood that just sticks out like a sore thumb or the victorian in the middle of a rancher neighborhood. You know you're an appraiser when seeing these with sold signs makes your day!

2. Smokey Bear

Smokey Bear Elite Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    California
    I collect comps with brick foundations. It's often not mentioned in the MLS, so I make sure to save them when I find out it's a brick foundation - they're not that common here due to the earthquake factor, but some people still have them.

3. Mike Boyd

Mike Boyd Elite Member

Jan 18, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    California

4. James Micozzi

James Micozzi Junior Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    Very common here in NY. Townhouses, AKA brownstones, built circa 1880-1920 usually have brick foundations.

5. Lee in L.A.

Lee in L.A. Elite Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
  6. Obsolescent

Obsolescent Senior Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    That's when you call the client and tell them that its the home of a casual acquaintenance and it would be best if they reassigned it!

7. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Arkansas
    I knew a couple of blockheads in my day.. :)
    I drove by this place one day and said to my helper..."I sure hope I never have to appraise that place...." It wasn't two weeks later.....

(it is a metal sided house but look carefully...on the left side. Those windows, the little trim around that part....look like a single wide to you? me, too. inside )

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  8. Lee in L.A.

Lee in L.A. Elite Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    I'd have to beg off on that due to lack of trouse expertise.
    Doesn't look too bad compared to some I've seen on here. :leeann2:

As for the copper dome, it's hard enough appraising in Malibu. Never mind the style. Finding a dome comp would be difficult to impossible. It's supposed to be about 2,900 SF, 2 bedroom, built 2006. Looks like small pad, nice view. At least those are attributes I can work with up there.

I did do a 2 story cylindrical house up there once.
    They said it was built on the foundation of an old water tank. Appeals to a limited group of buyers. Good times. :leeann:

9. Smokey Bear

Smokey Bear Elite Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Brick foundations in California tend to fall apart in earthquakes. Most lenders won't loan on them, or require you to replace them with concrete foundations, to the tune of $30-50k.

10. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Arkansas
    Not good for the facades...make 'em out of rubber next year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.