1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Mobile Sketch Vs. Pocket Apex

Discussion in 'a la mode (TOTAL)' started by Mister Ed, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Ed

Mister Ed Senior Member

Jan 24, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Georgia
    I use pocketTotal and pocketApex. They are helpful, but I was wondering what is the difference between Mobile Sketch and pocketApex?

Is there enough to be interested in an upgrade? pocketApex works GREAT when I synch with the report in the computer and all I do is put in the room labels, etc.

The downside of pocketApex? Even on a relatively fast pda it can run kinda slow.

Just wanted to hear from those who are in the know.

-ed-

2. Robert Smoote

Robert Smoote Junior Member

Dec 10, 2004
    Professional Status:
    IT Professional-Appraisal Related
    State:
    Texas
    Ed:

Obviously, I am biased so let me offer the following. Post your question on the Mobile Appraisers Group on Yahoo. This forum has over 1,000 appraisers who have an interest in all things mobile. I'm sure you'll get some feedback from people who have moved from Pocket Apex to MobileSketch, people who have used only MobileSketch and people using MobileSketch for Tablet PC's. You'll be able to get answers to questions from real world users, etc.

That being said, MobileSketch is similar to Pocket Apex in many ways, but contains the features requested by Pocket Apex users. It also has a more optimized engine underneath. Since you are a Pocket Apex user, you may get some idea on some of the new features in the video at: http://tinyurl.com/3su56

If you are interested in MobileSketch, please note that it requires a Pocket PC running Windows Mobile 2003 or above. It will not run on an older Pocket PC with the Pocket PC 2000 or Pocket PC 2002 Operating System. FWIW, one of the big things in MobileSketch v2.x is support for the high resolution Pocket PC's. The high resolution screen on an HP 4700/4705 or the Dell X50v makes a huge difference in sketching. Also, MobileSketch supports the DISTO™ Plus. Pocket Apex was already replaced by MobileSketch v1 by the time the DISTO™ Plus came out.

Hope this helps!

3. Couch Potato

Couch Potato Elite Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    North Carolina
    Ed,

The improvements in Mobile Sketch over Pocket Apex are well worth the price of the upgrade. You will still get the same ability to sync, but the drawing features are enhanced; things like being able to switch drawing directions.

Greg Myers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.