Modular off frame?

Discussion in 'Manufactured Housing' started by pgerarde, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pgerarde

pgerarde Junior Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Arizona
    While doing an appraisal of what appears to be a site built home, I found a small tag under the kitchen sink with the following info:

Cavco, 2502 W. Durango, Phoenix, AZ
    31'3 X 46'4
    f-ll2253
    AZ270446 / AZ272343
    5/20/96
    cavaadc 96-0491xu/cp-1437

I looked under the home and there is a wood frame and no post/pier. The home does seem to be a site built home with no attic at first glance.

My first thought is that I have a modular off frame (heard about them, not appraised one yet...). There are no plates attached to the exterior of the home at all.

My understanding was that a modular would not be bought to the site in two pieces (AZ270446 & AZ272343???). I thought the pieces would be assembeld onsite. This seems to be two halves which I would think would be a double wide manufactured home.

Have I misunderstood?

Patti in Chino Valley, AZ

2. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Yes. Sort of.

You might be thinking of panelized construction. Modulars are built in sections and then delivered to the site where they are installed on prepared foundations.

3. Ray Miller

Ray Miller Elite Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin
    Modulars can also have more then two sections as well as HUD Code Homes now.

You need to find out what code it is built to.

4. pgerarde

pgerarde Junior Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for the info. I also wish to verify that IF this home is indeed a off frame modular, I should use modular and/or site built homes as comparable sales. This is for a FHA insured loan.

Thanks for your help,

5. Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arizona
    Just sent you my Arizona information which includes the phone number for the state manufactured housing office. You can call them with that information and they will tell you if it was inspected by the HUD inspector or the modular building inspector. You can also call Cavco with the same information and questions. Cavco builds both manufactured homes to the HUD code and "on frame" modulars to UBC at the Durango plant in the same assembly line, and have since about 1985. They also build off frame modular offices, classrooms, etc at that plant. So they might have constructed an "off frame" modular residence as a special order.

Your subject does sound like an "off frame" modular because of the numbering on that label you found. Manufactured homes constructed in Arizona plants have HUD labels that begin with ARZ. Modular homes constructed in Arizona plants have state label numbers beginning with AZ. Although Schult Homes built at the Buckeye plant have state labels beginning with BUC

Modular homes come in sections just like a manufactured home. Panelized homes come in pieces that are assembled together like tinker toys on the subject lot. Examples of companies that build panelized homes are Jim Walker, Miles, DeGeorge, etc.

As far as comparables go--what would a typical buyer think as they approach the house? Built on site home? Trailer? Depending on the typical buyer's reaction either site built or manufactured housing or modular housing (if you can determine the difference) could be used. Are there any Jim Walters homes in the area that have resold? There won't be any information in assessor's records that it is a Jim Walters home, but typically you can tell by appearance (and measurement because they are always exactly in increments of 4'--for example 24.0' never 23.9' or 24.1') Jim Walters homes might be your best choice of comparables.

6. pgerarde

pgerarde Junior Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arizona
    Thank you Jo Ann. I know I can always count on you.

I did receive the information you emailed to me. I am going to put it in it's own binder and start a "Manufactured Homes" info center.

Everytime I think I now understand manufactured homes, they throw me a curve.... "I learn something new everyday" even at my age...

Thank you so very much. Take care and God bless.

7. Ted Martin

Ted Martin Senior Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Kansas
    Modulars also come in single sections. I own one 24' wide, floor joists are single piece, sold wood, 2x12. I have no idea where they even found those sticks, not a knot in them, no finger joints, just very long clear trees.

Absolutely no way to tell it's not site built unless someone tells you.

8. Jerry Bone Jr

Jerry Bone Jr Senior Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Oregon
    Patti, is the "small tag under the kitchen sink" the only indication that this home may not be site built? Could it be that the cabinet was removed from a Manuf Home, then re-installed in this home?

9. Ariba

Ariba Senior Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    Maybe they bought the sink at a garage sale when they remodeled. :shrug:

Do you normally look under the kitchen sink? If you did, I would venture to say you must have had some suspension on the construction of the house.

10. Couch Potato

Couch Potato Elite Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    Don't you always look under the kitchen sink? I always check for a garbage disposal under the kitchen sink, don't you?:shrug:

Follow the advice of Jo Ann, you'll be in good shape.:new_smile-l:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.