1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Monolithic Dome

Discussion in 'Urgent - Help Needed' started by CJHNV, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJHNV

CJHNV Junior Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Nevada
    Any one ever appraiser one of these? It's essentially a concrete ball; actually a couple three of them (footprint looks like a Mickey Mouse hat).

Concrete (shotcrete) over PUF with rebar web reinforcement.

Cool house - just a little different.

There are no *like* comparables (go figure) but there are other examples of ecclectic architecture in the area.

Cindy

Attached Files:

• dome.jpg
      dome.jpg
      File size:
      62.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Wendy

Wendy Senior Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    There is a strip bar in Orlando that has just the two side domes. They look like, ahhh.......

I know I am lazy, but I run from jobs like that!!!

3. David Wimpelberg

David Wimpelberg Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Mar 30, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    New York
    It kind of reminds me of Xanadu, House of the Future, in Kissimee. Of course that place went under the wrecking ball.

I would compare it to other eclectic homes in the area since they exist. I'd also look in to the marketing time for such homes, to determine if such homes are on the market longer than more conventional homes.

4. aussie ken

aussie ken Member

Mar 11, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Australia
    We had one of those in Wollongong too. Built be a dutchman. Dont know what it is about dutch people but they do like to do things different.

New owner drove a D6 straight through it!!

5. Doug Meyer

Doug Meyer Senior Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Indiana
    I did a Middle Eastern Contemporary that looked similat to that. By the way are you using SQUARE FOOTAGE OR ROUNDED FOOTAGE on this dwelling? :icon_smile:

6. aussie ken

aussie ken Member

Mar 11, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Australia
    Go Metric

Doug you just dont get it!!

The old imperial measuring system is defunct the answer to all your prayers is the SI system or metric. Mate you can do anything with it and some insights include:

-We have ceecee's or cc (dont confuse with nodding Mexican),

-We have metres (dont confuse with meters which is a little box thingy the electricity people use).

-We have centimetres which is not a 1 metre long centipede( Unlike some of our local earthworms which can grow to that length)

-We can embrace the intricate balance of a car that goes "0 to 60 in 3 seconds" as actually being a Volkswagon getting up to 35mph.

Yes it is easier to use but I tell you theres nothing so gloreous as the really old roods, perches, chains and links!!

7. Doug Meyer

Doug Meyer Senior Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Indiana
    :) I like the old tree that follows the creek measuring system myself.

8. jay trotta

jay trotta Elite Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Connecticut
    yep, fer the upper level of homes we use the Bow N Arrow feature from our Appraiser Tool Kit Package - developed an orginated by
    Snowglobe Industries, whatchalookinat Alaska........ call back R tuff, they always seem to be on a walkabout

9. Otis Key

Otis Key Elite Member

May 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    Have you checked with Greg or Ray? They always seem to get those kinds of jobs. :icon_eyecrazy: :new_silly:

10. xm39hnu

xm39hnu Senior Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Professional Status:
    General Public
    State:
    Florida
    We've been trying to get the metric system into use for 200 years. Somebody always bribes the politicians away from it. I cuss every time I try to figure out what drill bit is 1/32" smaller than 1/4". Closest we can come in appraisal is using feet and decimal feet for building measurments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.