1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Multiple Active Licenses For An Appraiser?

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by Alan Gertner, Jul 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan Gertner

Alan Gertner Member

Nov 1, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Texas
    Does your state allow multiple active licenses for an Appraiser? If yes, please identify your state.

In simpler terms, when you upgrade from one license level to another in your state, is the earlier license marked inactive or does it remain active until it expires?

There is an issue with the National Registry search function. The search function displays the earliest active license it finds for a Appraiser rather than the most recent. This creates confusion when verifying an appraiser's credentials, the Appraiser always provides the most recent license and the National Registry does not. You can button on the search results and it will display all the active licenses for the Appraiser, but most people don't know this.

I've convinced the Appraisal Subcommittee this is an issue for Texas Appraisers. We're now trying to determine how many other states are impacted by this so a priority can be assigned to the issue.

The fix is minor, ie sort the search results chronologically beginning with the most recent and display the most recent license. I need to convince the ASC this can be addressed easily and is worthwhile to do.

If you want to check your listing:

http://www.ASC.gov/content/category1/stand...spx?queryType=6

muchas gracias.

2. Smokey Bear

Smokey Bear Elite Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Man that gave me a scare - I just woke up and am stilly bleary eyed and read AQB Compliant as AQB COMPLAINT! What? Someone filed complaint on me? I need some caffeine.

3. Bobby Bucks

Bobby Bucks Elite Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Real Estate Agent or Broker
    State:
    North Dakota
    Most of the forum members have compliants.

4. Stone

Stone Elite Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin
    My license shows active for both Cert. Res and Cert. General. The Cert Res will expire at the end of this year. I believe the same thing happened in the past with licensed res and cert res both being active until the former expired.

Edit - it also shows the cert. res first, which could, I suppose be an issue if someone who was checking didn't scroll down to the next one.

5. Artemis Fowl

Artemis Fowl Senior Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Michigan
    I was bleary eyed enough to go check if I had any compliants too!

:lol:

6. TEL2002

TEL2002 Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Louisiana
    My license is listed as "inactive", my certified is listed as "active". If someone looks in the wrong place, they are liable to think I'm out of business.

My original mentor died 2.5 years ago. He is listed as "inactive". Yep, he sure is.

Maybe the solution would be for their searches to only show 'active' appraisers. A special search could show all 'inactive' data.

7. Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider Senior Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Banking/Mortgage Industry
    State:
    Connecticut
    And for those of you who carry certification/license in multiple states, check it out - The AQB seems to only note one state, whichever the last one was to submit information to them. I'm Certified Residential in NY and CT, and when I just search by name, only the NY comes up.....Interesting.....

8. Robert Dunkle

Robert Dunkle Senior Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Oklahoma
    The database functions of the registry are, in my opinion, very archaic!! Most people who would be doing a search are not going to be terribly computer literate, or wanting to spend all day checking things out. If you have upgraded your license level, you are going to be on the list more than one time. If you are CRA and they happen to check for licensed, your name will show up as licensed, but inactive.

Even though I am pretty computer literate and have done searches on the database before, I came across my name as "inactive" and went ballistic. I called the state board and e-mailed the ASC staff! They tried to reassure me and did show where my name is listed as active Certified Residential, but that really doesn't satisfy me very well.

There is no real reason that I can imagine why they couldn't delete the previous and out of date information. Oklahoma does not have an "inactive" designation for appraisers so that info shouldn't be coming from the state.

I, also, checked and the ASC listing does list people from out of state that also have Oklahoma licenses. It looks like they could even save money, definitely disk space by not having some names listed 3,4,even 5 times.

9. Edd Gillespie

Edd Gillespie Senior Member

Oct 16, 2004
    I guess CO reports you as your latest acitve level. At least they did mine and it changed levels just recently. Could it be everybody is different?

10. Alisa

Alisa Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    Okay, I don't exist....I guess AT licenses don't qualify.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.