1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Need some help from Orlando Appraisers.

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Mountain Man, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Georgia
    I don't need an appraisal, but I do need some help on where to stay for a Disney World vacation, Jan 1 - 5. This is when the kids are out of school, and suits us best. I've looked at a coupe from $2,000 to $2,600... but I don't know anything about the hotels they offer. So, anyone have any ideas on the best and worst??

2. Tim Hicks (Texas)

Tim Hicks (Texas) Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Texas

If you are going for Disneyworld, you can't beat staying on the grounds. I have gone to Disneyworld seven times with kids and the easiest was when we stayed at the Contemporary. The monorail stops in the Hotel and visits Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Buses run to all the other parks. I have stayed off the grounds too. It is just easier and worthwhile to stay on the grounds.

I recommend the Chef Mickey breakfast at the Contemporary. Breakfast with all the characters and more food than you could ever eat, but you can try.

3. David S. Roberson

David S. Roberson Senior Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Tennessee
    We spend 10 days at the Polynesian every spring. We like it the best, cause you've got the standard bus service, plus the monorail and small boats directly to the Magic Kingdom (the small boats only service the Polynesian and the Grand Floridian, so they're never crowded, and you can get back & forth in about ten minutes). It's less expensive than the Grand Floridian, but a little more than the Contemporary. You can also see the fireworks at night from the beach at the hotel. You can get a room for about $350 a night when you're going; it's the best rates for the year (Value Season: January 1 -February 13).

4. Wendy

Wendy Senior Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    How old are your kids? Older ones will most likely prefer Islands of Adventure over Disney.

5. Mountain Man

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Georgia
    4 and 7. Good tips, thanks.

6. Offshore

Offshore Senior Member

Dec 25, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    MLeggett if you’re thick skinned enough; you may want to consider a deal where you’re required to listen to a time share presentation. We went about 4 years ago to a Marriott which was 5 minutes outside the Tragic Kingdom and the rate was extremely low, plus they tossed in discounted tickets for the kingdom and Seaworld to boot. We had to sit through a high pressure presentation, but it was no worse than the noise you hear when coming in under value on a sale. It was actually fun since future business wasn’t involved, I didn’t have to be pleasant to them. :)

7. Wendy

Wendy Senior Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    4 & 7 might be too young to fully enjoy Islands - the coasters there are wicked and have taller height requirements (check them out ---> http://www.universalorlando.com/pi_height.html The 3 best are Dragons, Hulk & Spiderman). I'd probably save that park for future trip.

If you start to overdose on Disney (or want a park that serves beer :D) Sea World generally fascinates that age set. Not bad for adults either.

I'd have to agree with the other posts about the ease of on-site hotels. Parking is expensive and Orlando traffic is a real PITA.

PS - January can sometimes be a bit chilly. You may luck out and get warm temps, but I would not bet on it. Don't count on doing a lot of swimming unless pools are heated.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  8. David S. Roberson

David S. Roberson Senior Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Tennessee
    The Polynesian pool is heated, but it's a little cold coming out of the water even in March & April. Also, if you need to drink, Epcot has all kinds of libations as does every resort.

9. Mountain Man

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Georgia
    The reservations I have now has a heated pool, but that's not really important. I think the rug rats will be too worn out after a full day to care about a pool.

What would be the normal temp in Jan? 60's? 50's?
    Where we live, 40's is a normal day. But I do plan to buy vacation insurance in case the weather is really bad.
    Don't they sell a cold brew in most parks? If not, I'll make a point to remember my undercover Crown flask. :)

10. Pamela Crowley (Florida)

Pamela Crowley (Florida) Elite Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    YeeHawww!

Orlando forum party in Leggett's room!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.