1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

New Term for Readdressing Appraisals

Discussion in 'Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP' started by Terrel L. Shields, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Arkansas
    A first for me. I have always advocated narratives for estates so that the client won't be so tempted to take the report to a bank and try to use it for mortgage purposes.

Got a letter asking me to "switch over" the appraisal to a local banker....

Gee, the appraisal is 10 months old and written for an estate lawyer...no problem, do that in 3 minutes right? 50 page narrative of a complex property. crap.

2. Fred

Fred Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Virgin Islands
    I think it needs a new name. I don't know how to put an address on an appraisal in the first place, so I surely wouldn't know how to "re" address one. :)

PS: I probably wouldn't use FRT-MV for an estate appraisal, so I'd probably have to re-defnition it too. :) Oh well, probably ought to start over.

3. David Wimpelberg

David Wimpelberg Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Mar 30, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    I've had that happen also. I was hired as the neutral appraiser (court-ordered). The husband takes it to the bank, and the banker wants it readdressed, for some ridiculously low fee (telephone number value on property). I told the banker that by being on the phone with me he risks receiving a supeona (you'd be surprised who they'll drag into court when things get ugly), and that he'd have to speak to the judge before I can discuss or do anything with property in question.

4. Terrel L. Shields

Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arkansas
    pretty much what i told 'em.

5. leelansford

leelansford Elite Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Illinois
    When I receive the infrequent telephone call (usually from a MB) for a "re-assignment" (or, whatever the term of the day might be), I no longer attempt to provide them with the niceties of the USPAP by way of explanation as to why I can not do what they request. Instead, I carefully (in writing) explain to them exactly how I can assist them with a new appraisal. The process is still a bit like pulling teeth, but I do make certain that I let them know that "yes, I can assist you" and "this is how I can assist you".

6. Joker

Joker Elite Member

May 28, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Ohio
    Ditto Mr. Lansford

7. Colleague

Colleague Junior Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    Per USPAP 2006 advisory Opinion - A new Assignment of a Prior Assignment - states that:

"Regardless of the nomenclature (name) used, when a client seeks a more current value or analysis of a property that was the subject of a prior assignment, this is not an extension of that prior assignment that was already completed - it is simply a new assignment".

8. Fred

Fred Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Virgin Islands
    Lee,
    That's what I used to post when the ASB first opened this can of worms - just tell them how long it will take and how much money you want. Any appraiser who argues Uspap with a MB, needs a sanity check.

Bert,
    The AO you are citing addresses when the second request comes from the same client. In Terry's story, the second client will be different than the first.

9. Nicholas Durante

Nicholas Durante Junior Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida

One thing you can always do is to state you are not able to confirm or deny the existence of an appraisal that was not ordered by the person on the phone asking for "readdressing". Unless they are named as an intended user on the report, you cannot even discuss the alleged report with them without first contacting the original mortgage company. Hold please while I get them on the line. This tact I take only with those who attempt to assert themselves as being in charge of my life, and expect me to jump when they say jump.

The vast majority of "questioners" I speak with are content with the fact that they have really two choices - Order a new appraisal from ME at MY reduced fee, OR order a fresh appraisal from a DIFFERENT company at FULL PRICE. Their choice. Call me back when you have a decision, or just fax me the order at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Nicholas

10. Terrel L. Shields

Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arkansas
    The client is different. The purpose is different. There is a borrower in the mix on #2....so the users (heirs vs borrowers) is different..No problem. just do it cheap... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.