1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

New Web Site And Brochure

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Jeff Horton, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Horton

Jeff Horton Senior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Alabama
    Nothing like having NO work to motivate you! Actually I have been busy with building the new house so no work is not really a problem. But with my spare time I have been reading the marketing forum on some other boards (Home Inspectors site is a good one).

I have redesigned my web site and I really like it much better. Still have some things to do and I am sure there are typo's I have missed. But it looks more better. :) And yes it is really slanted toward the home inspection side.

I just did a new brochure to place in the hands of Realtors and in their offices. As you will see it is aimed at the Home Inspection side with just a mention that I am also an Appraiser. That’s on purpose. I am too honest for the Mortgage Lenders in my area. They won't use me. Skippy gets all their work.

I would like you impressions as a consumer to my brochure. Would it make you want to use me to inspect your new home??
    BTW the photos in there are just something I had. I am going to replace them with better ones.

Back side

Front side

I also have a $20 off coupon I am going to distribute to the Realtors for home inspections. Then they can give the coupon to their customers and it makes the Realtors look good. Before you bow up to this idea we have discussed this at length in the HI forum and the member that have tired it have had an amazing return on this. And it gets repeat work too!

I have also designed a set of, I think, eye catching ads for the local Real Estate book. After the first of the year I want to implement all this and see what happens.

2. Otis Key

Otis Key Elite Member

May 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    We're all going to have to get motivated and come up with some ideas. Web site looks good. Let us know how it works for you.

3. Pamela Crowley (Florida)

Pamela Crowley (Florida) Elite Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    Looks great Jeff!

Unfinished sentence for your coverage area under the map.

4. TEL2002

TEL2002 Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Louisiana
    Ok Jeff, I'll be the bad guy.

"when honesty and interity matter" A person could be honest and not be competent. I always start to put my hand over my wallet when someone tells me how honest they are or what a great Christian they are (burned too many times by those lines...I'm no longer gullible). How about something like..."When throughness and accuracy matter."

There are a few too many I's in the writing, ie. "I am a member..." Try "Member in good standing..."

Check with the BBB, but in my area if I reference my membership I must state the chapter affiliation.

5. TEL2002

TEL2002 Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Louisiana
    Just looked at page again & it looks like the BBB statement may be under the logo...sorry.

Good looking website.

6. phil cadorette

phil cadorette New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Great looking brochure.

However, anywhere you can focus on the "You / Client" rather than I will work better. Emphasize the benefits to the client rather than the features.

Best of luck

B)

7. Hank Outlaw

Hank Outlaw Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    TE,

I understand what you mean and am sorry to hear that you have been burned in the past by a Christian(s). I hope that you have not let the sins of others get between you and God. It is unfortunate that folks refer to their faith and often use it to market themselves, only to let others down and many times offend those who may otherwise consider Christ as their saviour. Hebrews 12:2 is a great verse regarding this.

There is a song that has a line in it, something like ..."I'd rather see a sermon than to hear one anyday"... If only we could model Christlikeness everyday! We can try and should try to live it out, but sooner or later will sin. Its what we do once we sin that matters.

Don't mean to preach, but after what I've heard this weekend, I can't read a post like yours and not respond. Those of us who profess a faith in Christ need to live it out and quit being ashamed to share it with others. No offense intended in my response. I'd have a distaste for Christians too if I had not had a few that cared enough to invite me to church, live it out, and love me for who I am, not what I drive, where I live, or how much money I make. :peace:

God Bless,

Hank O.

8. USPAP Compliant

USPAP Compliant Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    Amen.

I missed church today due to ice...........thanks for a nice reminder.

9. TEL2002

TEL2002 Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Louisiana
    Hank, its off topic...but no the actions of a few do not deter nor shake my beliefs.

It just really frustrates me when someone talks about how honest they are or what a great Christian they are...when all along they are slime and their actions prove it. Quite a few years ago, I sat in a restaurant at a table next to a famous TV evangelist. (Not Billy Graham...him I truly respect and I enjoy listening to him.) This TV guy was talking to others at his table about what they needed to do when he went into his faith healing segment. "Throw away the crutches and shot..." etc. Since there were no crutches in the restaurant, I figured they must be in the prop room. What an eye opener. What a slime ball, to take the faith of others and make a mockery of it. Taught me a lesson to ALWAYS research, investigate...before trusting. He is still on TV today, and I'm sure making lots of money.

I think a brochure should state facts about appraising skills, knowledge, experience, and capability.

STILL WATERS RUN DEEP!

10. tommcsherry

tommcsherry Senior Member

Mar 11, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Nevada
    Jeff,

I agree with the "get rid of the "I"'s in there.
    Also, (and this is just personal opinion) but I think you're laying it on pretty thick with the "If you honor me by permitting me...." ...that would turn me off a little...not a lot....just a little....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.