1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

NY State Licensing Exam

Discussion in 'New York' started by Becca, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becca

Becca New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Appraiser Trainee
    State:
    New York
    Hi All!
    Just got bad news that I failed the Residential Licensed Exam for the 2nd time. Although I know I studied much better, it seems I'm not studying smart enough. Any suggestions on materials that will cover every possible exam question. (It's odd I fail the same test twice...)

Thanks in advance for any input.

Becca m:

2. James Micozzi

James Micozzi Junior Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    New York
    Becca

I took a review class prior to taking the certified residential test. IMHO, take the certified exam. Most lenders and appraisal firms want certified appraisers.

Make sure you know all the definitions. I used Harrison's book, Appraising REsidences and Income Properties to study from, the latest edition. Also, I used learnappraising.com. This was a good way for me to see where my weak areas were during my studying.

good luck. PM me if you need more information.

Jim

3. Becca

Becca New Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Appraiser Trainee
    State:
    New York

Thanks Jim,

I was told I have to take R3 & R4 to take the Residential Certified Exam. Since I didn't take them yet I can only sit in on the Licensed and thereafter when I take the R3 & R4 I will be able to take the RCE.

Thanks for your input...I already signed up with Learningappraising.com

I'll let you know the results.

Take care!

4. David Wimpelberg

David Wimpelberg Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Mar 30, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    New York
    Just so you're aware, if you don't complete the education requirements for the Certified Residential category by the end of the year, and you wish to upgrade, you will fall under the new requirements in 2008. That would mean completing the college education requirement and completing the new coursework. R1 may count towards the new requirements; the state isn't sure about R2 yet. The exam will also be based on the new material, which leaves the appraiser completing the coursework under the old courses at a disadvantage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.