1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Okra Gumbo.recipes.anyone?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Terrel L. Shields, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Arkansas
    I like okra. But my garden has produced so much okra I am about to founder on fried okra.

Anyone got a good okra gumbo recipe they'd share? I need to a little variety here....3 gallons of it this week, i think i am turning green...with ridges.

2. JRS at OBX

JRS at OBX Elite Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    North Carolina
    Feeling a little slimy?

I like pickled okra. :icon_mrgreen:

3. Pilgrum

Pilgrum Senior Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Nevada
    That reminds me of an experience with zuchinni when we lived in Alaska. THought we would use it as a ground cover in a hard to mow spot AND reap the benefits. The only problem is that there would be a flower in the morning and 24 hours later an 8 inch zuchinni. Better get it then or you couldn't carry it the next day.
    Boiled zuchinni, fried zuchinni, baked zuchinni. Zuchinni Bread, zuchinni cake, zuchinni casserole. ad infintum.

4. Otis Key

Otis Key Elite Member

May 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    I'll get Mom to send me her recipe and I'll forward it on to ya - she's from LA!

5. Ray Miller

Ray Miller Elite Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin
    Otis,

Could you send it my way as well. My Wisconsin Okra is starting to produce.

Any one want zuchinni, they are four feet long by 18 to 20 in. around and still growing?

The garden is producing so much we can't keep up with it. We have beaned every one we know. Freezer is full of veggies, we have 36 qt. ec. of beans and maters canned. Honey onions are coming out our ears, taters are doing great, beets I have turned red, carrots can't find any takers, same for the parnips and turnips. Cabage is made in to Krat but sitll have a lot growing, lettuce looks like trees.

6. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Despite most of my dad's side of the family being from Okrahoma I hate okra almost as much as I hate beets. I'd rather eat bugs.

7. jlabauve

jlabauve Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Louisiana
    Terrel - check you PM. Here in Louisiana we LOVE our okra. I'm sending my favorite recipe - Louisiana Creole Okra with Meat Balls.

8. Terrel L. Shields

Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arkansas
    I LUUVVV pickled beets too.... :) sorry you don't like either one...but that just leaves more for me !!

9. Ray Miller

Ray Miller Elite Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin

Terrel,

We planted some beets that are Italian. They have red and white rings inside. You have a red outer, then a white ring, then a red ring and a white ring, then red center. They really have a beet flavor. We did pickle a bunch of them as well. Made a lot of pickles as well, sweet and dill.

Planted a row of regular beets as well. I like beets as well as the green and wax beans. Beans we fix with some fresh raw honey onions.

Bobbie has been doing a lot of grilling of our summer squash with honey onions, she doing the same thing with the taters, along with some thick pork chops or a nice beef rib eye. Cuts are an inch or better thick. We are grilling three to four times a week right now.

I like my steak when you rope it out of the pasture, whipe it nose, cut the horns off, wipe under the tail and trot it across the grill. Stick it with a fork if it still bellers it just right and not over cooked.:clapping:

10. Terrel L. Shields

Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arkansas
    I prefer about 140 degrees inside for my stake. Don't want the blood dripping off my chin... but rare is 'ok' sometimes. NEVER eat rare hamburger unless you like dying of listeria or E. Coli infections. And of course I like my hamburger with fried okra!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.