1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

On The Privilege Of Voting...

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Farm Gal, Oct 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Farm Gal

Farm Gal Elite Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Nebraska
    (Note: I am posting this unedited as forwarded to me... I am marginally aware of most of these events but have NOT personally veracity checked all fact in this forward... I did spot check some of the dates and names, and beleive the whole to be true as writ)

2. Tina

Tina Senior Member

May 31, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    Whoa...Lee Ann, all I can say is WOW.

I am sooo humbled

I take many things for granted

TB

3. Restrain

Restrain Elite Member

Jan 22, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    People have fought and died for the right to vote. It started in 1776. Since then, women and blacks have carried the fight to other groups. I applaude the enfranchisement of all people to vote.

However, if a person doesn't know who their representative and senator is, if they don't know who the Vice-President is, if they can't articulate the TRUE aims of the candidates for office...do us all a favor and don't vote. You're like the guy who isn't a scientist but stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. You just FEEL like you know something, but don't. An uninformed or ignorant electorate is much more dangerous to democracy than the mechaniations of the various party bosses.

4. Scott Kibler

Scott Kibler Elite Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Illinois
    I cannot agree enough with this statement.

If it were a workable solution, I would like to see a system where all potential voters were required to prove their competancy as voters by demonstating their knowledge of the issues and candidates. Maybe require a somewhat more thoughtful analysis beyond repeating what is said on network TV news or talk radio.

On a related and somewhat more inflamatory topic: What is the point of bringing elections to the people of Afghanistan and Iraq at this point in time? Considering the history of each place, do we really think these people are ready for this privilage? Are we really prepared to back popularly elected officals who do not back American efforts? Seems to me this could seriously backfire on us. I say we just install colonial viceroys and let these people choose who gets to represent their interests before their American governors.

EDIT: I just realized I posted a Lounge-ish statement in a Watercooler thread. Sorry. :peace:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.