1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Outsource data entry

Discussion in 'Running an Appraisal Business' started by normando, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. normando

normando Senior Member

May 2, 2009
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    California
    I came across this data entry service company last week in which for $14.99 per report, they will type in the data (info on subject, contract, neighorhood, site, improvements, comparable sales rid, prior sales, pud info, 1004MC). It sounds like a good price but after I gather the data and send it overnite, would I save time? The company promised to send it back the next day. Has anyone tried using this service. I think the data entry is outsourced to India.

2. Crippled Chef

Crippled Chef Sophomore Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    New York
    Data entry

I have always been a 1-man business, in whatever business I have been in at any given time. I like to know what is exactly going on, so me personally...I wouldn't feel comfortable hiring out a data-entry service. You would have to review all their work anyway...why not do it yourself? I couldn't imagine having the headaches of a large enough business where I don't do all my own work. Just my 2 cents.

3. PLCG

PLCG Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    This is a service with multiple employees, not a person you know and trust. You would have to check each entry carefully each time. It would probably be faster to make the entries yourself.

Wait you mail the data - not email? Why don't you just visit the local high school and find a kid who needs a part time job after school? It would be faster.

4. Don Clark

Don Clark Elite Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Virginia
    I know very few appraisers that are busy enough to need this service. The few that are in need of such services are usually running "Puppy" mills of trainees.

5. J Grant

J Grant Elite Member

Dec 9, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    I agree, by the time you collate the data and send it overnight, it is almost as time consuming as doing the typing. Then you have to wait to get it back...if you have three hours of down time while you wait you maybe could have typed it yourself, then when it comes back you have to proof read and check the work.

6. Ca Ar Independent

Ca Ar Independent Senior Member

Sep 24, 2011
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    I see these offers frequently as well. I don't see how you can ensure that everything is as you intended, and now you would have to write the UAD codes somewhere on the data sheets. You would most likely spend as much time or more verifying/correcting/clarifying the data. Do you need to disclose that someone besides yourself assisted with the report? Also, I would think you would have to leave the subject, client and borrower for later so you didn't violate client confidentiality. Sounds like many headaches for little or no savings.

7. Smokey Bear

Smokey Bear Elite Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    They're probably in India and do it while you sleep. I use DataMaster and import the data, much more reliable. They're expanding, but aren't currently in all areas. They do cover Orange County, Ca, and probably L.A. as well. I haven't checked since I don't go to L.A.

8. normando

normando Senior Member

May 2, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    This company was at the Appraisal Institute sponsor area so this must be a legit company...right? Anyway, I hate data entry and it sounded interesting so I wanted your opinion. Intuiitively, I don't think it will save that much time but my time is worth more than $14.99/hour.

9. Smokey Bear

Smokey Bear Elite Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    So test them by submitting data from a report you've already done, and see how it compares.

10. Steve Metz

Steve Metz Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Georgia
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.