1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Owner requests one of my photos

Discussion in 'Urgent - Help Needed' started by spgray65, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spgray65

spgray65 Sophomore Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Hi all.

I'm not sure if this would be a USPAP violation or not.

I did a purchase appraisal for a single family investment property. It was tenant occupied and the owner was not there when I did the inspection.

The owner just emailed me and asked that I email him the rear photo that I took.

Can I do this or should I tell him no? He's not my client, nor is he the borrower.

I'm tempted to tell him forgetaboutit, you're the owner, go over there and take your own rear photo. :)

2. David Sawyer

David Sawyer Member

Mar 8, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    I am going to answer that with a question. Have you ever taken a picture and for some unknown reason not turned out quite right. Or have you forgotten a bath photo or a rear photo and have had to contact the owner to email you a photo? I have! And the owner has always been kind enough to help!

3. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Georgia
    Since I just finished watching Penn & Teller Tell a Lie...
    Protect your photos at all cost!!! It's in USPAP! Or is it? Maybe do a Google search?? Hint...you won't find it. Nothing in USPAP about photos or inspecting.

4. spgray65

Dec 3, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Yes I have, and I've always gone back out to take the photo myself. I simply won't trust anyone that much to email me a photo.

That said, the guy asking for my rear photo (well, not MY rear photo, the houses rear photo) isn't my client and isn't the borrower.

I want to help him but my gut is telling me to tell him no.

Do the photos I take during the course of my inspection belong to me or to the client? Or both? If he got the client/lender to send me a letter saying it's OK with them, then I would. But by the time he got that to happen he could go take the photo himself.

5. Ariba

Ariba Senior Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    Tell him to get a copy of the appraisal from the lender and he will have all the pictures you have included in the appraisal. Problem solved!

6. spgray65

Dec 3, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    It's a purchase appraisal and he's the owner (off site landlord), not the borrower, so he won't get a copy. :icon_lol:

7. DeAnna Coley

DeAnna Coley Sophomore Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Oklahoma
    DONT SEND IT!!
    1)He was NOT your client
    2)The purpose of the appraisal was for a purchase so the borrower is the one who the Lender would provide a copy to NOT the Seller.
    3)He is trying to obtain from you what he is probably being denied by the Lender/Borrower for whatever reason, who cares-stay away from involving yourself.
    4)The pictures belong to who took them-YOU......The Lender is not dumb enough to put it in writing telling you to release them to the Seller, he has no relationship with Lender!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  8. spgray65

Dec 3, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Thanks, that was what my gut was telling me too.:new_color_:

9. Michigan CG

Michigan CG Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nov 1, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Michigan
    It is an exterior photo and does not give him the opinion of value or anything else confidential.

Be a nice guy and send him the photo.

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Georgia
    Maybe my sarcasm missed the point Michigan is making.... send the dang photo. You may win over another future client/customer. So darn many are scared of their own shadow on this forum for fear of breaking some confidentially rule that doesn't exist. Hell, send me the address, I'll give them a rear photo from Bing, or pay a local college kid working for CoStar to take the pic. Then *I* might win a future client. If it's of public records or is visible from public airspace, what's the big feggin' deal!!!???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.