1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Photo retrieval question

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by John Marshall, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Marshall

John Marshall Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Georgia
    My son filled up his photo card with 490 shots. He downloaded them onto his computer, formatted the card and over months filled the card back up. Then he discovered the original photos did not save successfully to his hard drive. I tried to retrieve them from the card but the software that does that only found the current photos, not the ones that were there previously prior to the format. Does he have any options? I used the program from ZAR that finds photos from damaged or formatted cards.

2. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Elite Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    New York
  3. CardFan

CardFan New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    I used ImageRecall 3 to retrieve about 100 photos I had deleted from an XD card, which seemed to be highly rated, fairly reasonable, and it found every single photo I deleted.

4. Em Tee

Em Tee Senior Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    If you delete files, they can be retrieved. But as far as I know, once you've recorded something new, you can't retrieve the old information.

5. John Marshall

John Marshall Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Georgia
    Wonderful advice - thanks!

Em Tree is right. Used Mike's suggested links and read that once a memory card is overwritten the originals are unrecoverable.
    Thanks all for the responses.

6. Cliff Salisbury

Cliff Salisbury Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Ohio
    Check on the HP web site for their cameras. A few years ago a friend of mine erased his photos. about 20 of them. He contacted them and they refered him to their site for a free recovery program. He asked me to help him run this recovery program for him, wich I did. We recovered somewhere over 300 pictures. Some where not the greatest. The more recent ones were better than the older ones. These pictures that he erased were some that he had taken at his daughters wedding. I know the ones from the wedding were good enough to print. The older ones were not. I hope this helps.

7. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arkansas
    If you reformatted after saving the pix, then I doubt you can retrieve them especially since they have been written over. I always save them twice.

What I would try to do is see if I could retrieve them from the computer Hard drive, where they may just be hidden....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.