1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Plans and Specs in the workfile

Discussion in 'Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP' started by Anthem, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthem

Anthem Senior Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    North Carolina
    I have always kept a copy of the plans and specs in the workfile. I realize that many appraisers just take a photo and then give them back.. Maybe this is ok but I prefer a legible copy.

Here is my question

Is it a requirement to keep plans and specs in your workfile for the 5 year time length?

I have always thought that it was and have kept them, I have a bank telling me otherwise.

I didn't hit the number and the borrower wants them back.

2. DWiley

DWiley Senior Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Tennessee
    The Comment to SR 1-2(e)(v) states, in part

Must the appraiser have/keep plans and specs? No, but if you don't have plans and specs, you must have something else as a substitute. For example, the order might say the home was to be just like Lot 10, which you appraised last week. In such a case, there would be no need for plans/specs.

Whatever you have, you must be able to access during the record retention period. So, it could be in the workfile, or you could arrange for someone to store it as long as you had an access agreement.

Digital cameras have come a long way lately. I have one that has a setting specifically for copying documents, and I think taking a photo of everything I get in paper is probably the easiest way to handle it.

More and more we are getting plans/specs electronically. In fact, we just got one like that today. That really is nice. We just insert the plans right into the appraisal report and a copy of the plans is just part of the workfile copy of the appraisal report.

Take care

DW

3. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Wow. Electronic plans. I would love to see those. I could clean out my little closet which is full of rolled up plans.

When interviewing the borrower/builder I tell them I have to have a set of plan that I can keep. They always come through with a set.

4. Anthem

Anthem Senior Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the detailed reply.

5. Anthem

Anthem Senior Member

Mar 10, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    What are the Chances?

Got an order today for another Proposed... Plans have been Emailed..... Heck why bother with a sketch :) Well I guess they may want the GLA calculation breakdown...

6. TC

TC Elite Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    I checked years ago with my local USPAP guru and got the green light to either scanning or taking photos of the blueprints. It's kosher.

TC

7. Mr Rex

Mr Rex Elite Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    FWIW Preston, I also use my picture of the elevation page of the prints in my report, gives the reader an idea of what the finished house will look like. I've seen too many HUDular appraisals where the "appraiser" used cut up site built houses to compare to a box that looks like a Doublewide with a slightly higher roof pitch. Did a review of one recently that got shot down at the 1004D phase because of this very issue. Looked for all the world like a doublewide, all the comps were really nice looking site built houses with cut up roofs, not to mention cathedral ceilings, hardwoods, ceramic tile etc. Seems I saw this fellow's name in the Quarterly Disciplinary notices for something similar.

8. Scott FL

Scott FL Sophomore Member

Apr 12, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    I always do the apex drawing. I had an architect for one of my regular projects email the pdf plans but he placed the wrong square footage into the box with the lot number and GLA etc details. When I finished the drawing I was off 289 feet from his numbers. I realized by the parcel ID number he copied the box summary information from a previous assignment into this other stock set of plans. It has only happened once. If I had relied on the architect’s data and merely scanned in the plans it would have created a rather significant error throughout the report.

9. Workbox

Workbox Elite Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    Do any of you do a cut in paste of the large Blue Prints? I usually scan them to half size on my copier and then match the walls and paste and are small enough for the file. And yes! PDF plans are cool.

10. TC

TC Elite Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    Likewise, but you still have to keep a copy of the blueprints, and I prefer to scan them to a PDF.

TC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.