1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Porch Railing

Discussion in 'Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP' started by tonyalston, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyalston

tonyalston New Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Professional Status:
    Banking/Mortgage Industry
    State:
    Texas
    I have a question regarding railing. I am not an appraiser, I am a loan processor and i need help. Since recently a lot of loans were kicked back by the investors because the railing was on one side of the porch and not on the other, the underwriting is rejecting appraisals with railing on one side of the porch. They want the appraisers to put a comment in the addendum that this is not required per local county building code. I have a property in Baltimore County, MD where they want this comment and the appraiser won't put any comments since he has not access to building codes. Every house on that street has one rail on the porch, but it is not good enough for UW. Can someone suggest anything? Where do I go to get those codes? Whom to I talk to? Thank you very much for helping me if you know the answer.

2. Randolph Kinney

Randolph Kinney Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    California
    A licensed home inspector should be knowledgeable of the local building codes. Require a home inspection report that specifically answers your question.

3. Mary Tiernan

Mary Tiernan Senior Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Michigan
    Here in Michigan, each county has a Building Department - wonder if that is so in Maryland? Easy to call and get a question answered - if you have to, pretend you are a homeowner . . .

4. Mary Tiernan

Mary Tiernan Senior Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Michigan
    i googled baltimore county maryland building department, there at the top of the page is a link to their permit office. my satellite decided to quit connecting so can't post the link.

5. kevingrehan

kevingrehan Junior Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Mississippi
    Sticky area, the appraiser must decide if the missing handrail is a safety hazard. Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what happens when someone falls off. FHA use to require more than 3 steps have a handrail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.