1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Postal Money Orders.cancellable?

Discussion in 'Urgent - Help Needed' started by KYLECODY, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KYLECODY

KYLECODY Senior Member

Apr 26, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Arizona
    cancellable? Not sure if thats a word. Requested a personal , local check for an assignment from a local one time wonder client. They messengered over a Postal Money Order for the amount. Are these safe or can they be cancelled down the road?? Can I go straight to the Post Office and cash it? Thanks.

2. xm72mhd

xm72mhd Elite Member

Aug 13, 2005
    Professional Status:
    General Public
    State:
    Florida
    I've never tried to cash a money order. I think you have to do that a bank. My understanding is that they cannot be cancelled.

3. deturner

deturner Senior Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Kansas
    What I understand is they can only be purchased with cash and are just as good as cash. These can not be cancelled.

DaveT in NC

4. Ray Miller

Ray Miller Elite Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin
    They can not be cancelled. In the past I have cashed them at the post office with proper ID or traded them for stamps which can be sold on the black market in Mexico.

5. Otis Key

Otis Key Elite Member

May 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    Ditto Ray's response - they can't cancell them from what I understand - but then cash works better and you don't have to worry

6. xm39hnu

xm39hnu Senior Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Professional Status:
    General Public
    State:
    Florida
    They can't stop payment on a postal money order. Just deposit it like a check, or cash it at a post office or bank.

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Georgia
    You may not be able to stop payment, but they darn well can be counterfeited.
    But then again, with how good computers and printer are now, so can a “Certified Check”.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.