1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Quick Estimate for new CompShingle roof on a 1200 sf house?

Discussion in 'Urgent - Help Needed' started by al002kim, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al002kim

al002kim Sophomore Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    California
    I'm just doing a REO addendum, just wanna find out pretty quick how much should I charge for roof replacement on a 1200 sf house built in the 70s'. The roof is worn out and has black debris all over. Thanks~

2. Obsolescent

Obsolescent Senior Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    I guess that depends on what kind of roof, the roof shape, and the square footage of the roof. Its a 1200 sf home but if its a two story the roof would be less than 1200sf. There's not enough info to answer the question properly. I suggest you consult a cost guide. If you don't have the standard Marshall & Swift, I suggest you to to Amazon.com and at least pick up their Home Remodel and Repair guide.

According to the MS Remodel & Repair guide, composition shingles are 1.55/sf (standard) But that won't include labor, felt paper, venting, etc.

3. Laughing Heir

Laughing Heir Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    Agreed. Cost will vary quite significantly.

4. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Elite Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
  5. Diego Lopez

Diego Lopez Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    RS Means 2007 = 8.73 s/f (includes labor and all other costs exept the location factor.)

6. Tim Schneider

Tim Schneider Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Wisconsin
    Around here you would expect to pay $30 per square for average shingles and $100 per square for removal & installation.

7. rbrienza

rbrienza Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Colorado
    It also depends on the area that you are in Cali-- SF will have a different cost then LA or San Degio. Just like different parts of the county. Your costs, profit, overhead, labor costs, are all going to be different. I would suggest the Marsh & Swift (they dont have profit), Local contractors, etc.
    good luck...

8. Webbed Feet

Webbed Feet Elite Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Webb's interpretation of this question:

"Hi! I don't want to learn how to do anything for myself, I just want someone to tell me the answer to my question that lacks the information to answer it."

Damn, we sure show how professional we are, or are not, on this forum all the time. Don't we? Kinda like accepting an assignment for REO work when not even knowing how to estimate the cost to replace a roof.

I would have respected the question a lot more if it had of been for information on how to do this BEFORE the assignment was accepted!

Webbed.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  9. Zmcraney

Zmcraney Junior Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Mississippi
    call a local roofer. that's your best bet for the cost in your area.

10. Webbed Feet

Webbed Feet Elite Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Mr. Lopez,

So we provide meaningless costs per square foot as an answer back to someone asking that is completely out of our market area and may very well have completely different labor costs? Does not tell us the construction quality, or what the market demands for that house regarding quality of roofing? And gives us no idea of roofing pitch or materials being used in the quote?

You guess at all this and answer? Now my only question is what showed more irresponsibility? The question, or the answer?

Webbed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.