1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Quick release on security bars

Discussion in 'FHA/HUD and VA' started by Lobo Fan, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lobo Fan

Lobo Fan Elite Member

Nov 28, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    New Mexico
    I looked at a house yesterday with security iron over the bedroom windows that require a key to get open. I thought I read somewhere that this is not acceptable and an MPR item. The 4150-D calls for a "quick release". Is a dead bolt type lock a "quick release"?

Client will have a meltdown if I condition this as a repair. I want to be very sure.

2. Randolph Kinney

Randolph Kinney Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    California state law requires all bedroom windows that have security bars have a "quick release" mechanism. Key will not qualify as a quick release.

3. Lobo Fan

Lobo Fan Elite Member

Nov 28, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    This might come down to a local code issue. This property is located in an area with very lax code enforcement. I will look into the local code thing.

4. Mike Garrett RAA

Mike Garrett RAA Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    I have seen them there the key is hanging right next to the lock and it was accepted by the underwriter.

5. Lobo Fan

Lobo Fan Elite Member

Nov 28, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    Yuck, yuck, the borroweer could not even find the key(s) to demonstrate that they worked. I would not want to see a panicked 6 year old trying to find and fit a key in a smoke filled room. I get shivers just thinking about it.

6. PropertyEconomics

PropertyEconomics Elite Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    New Mexico

I dont believe that would be acceptable by code here Mike .. in the event of fire fumbling for a key, putting it in the lock, opening it, removing it, may well result in death. I think the building code here is very strict now on quick releases on the BEDROOM windows only (or atleast one bedroom window if I recall correctly). Hitting a button or stepping on one is much faster in the event of fire. A check with the local building department could easily answer this question and I believe Lobo this is a STATE building code and not something local. No matter how lax local officials may be, State Code is State Code.

7. Kevin Mc

Kevin Mc Elite Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    you will get an awful lot of conflicting information. NYC doesn't require them but the FDNY does (on bedroom windows). Go figure. The one consistent I have found over many years is most insurers do require them. Disclose and let the UW make the call.

8. Mike Boyd

Mike Boyd Elite Member

Jan 18, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    California
    The Quick Release function I have seen has a push mechanism. It releases the lock and opens the bars in a single motion.

9. Lobo Fan

Lobo Fan Elite Member

Nov 28, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    The most common one I have seen around here is a turn handle in the interior wall. I guess California requires foot pedals. I often see chains and padlocks installed as well. I am going to condition the report on the removal of the locks. I am also researching for a minimum size for the opening? Any thoughts on that one?

10. Mike Garrett RAA

Mike Garrett RAA Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    We can condition the appraisal all we want, once they close on the loan back come the locks anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.