1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Railings for front porch

Discussion in 'FHA/HUD and VA' started by Jeff Le Monds, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff Le Monds

Jeff Le Monds New Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Colorado
    I am appraising a 1910 ranch style home with a front covered porch which is 1.5 feet up from the ground. The front porch is accessed by two concrete steps. Is it a FHA requirement that there be railings for those two steps and railngs around the porch?

2. Workbox

Workbox Elite Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Colorado
    The new requirements indicate that is not required unless it is a health and safety issue. That much of a difference, common sense would say no, but UW may require it. I had cases where the stairs worked properly with handrails, but the underwriter did not like the way it looked and the way it angled a certain way and it was not attached securely. OK, it was her call. We did the new stairs, but Nope, the UW wanted them attached to the ground, so the owner tied them down with cement and bolts. For me it was OK, for the UW, nope. Other cases, no mention of it on the report or the UW after showing it on the report.

You just have to ask yourself. Is it safe for the purpose that they are intended for? I always see it this way. Can a little kid walk up and down, without hurting themselves. What about an elderly person who may need rails to assist them.

Do you have a picture?

3. xmrdfghap

xmrdfghap Senior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    General Public
    State:
    Florida
    As I recall, building code (BOCA) requires railings around anything more than 30" off the ground.

4. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Arkansas
    I recall 30" or 36" was the standard years ago and the rails had to be close enough that a child couldn't slip through.

5. Robert Hronek

Robert Hronek Junior Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Nebraska
    FHA used to say 3 stairs and then went to 2 stairs. With the relaxing of requirements I don't know what the requirement is. Although still on FHA appraiser list I havent had a request since going to the new forms.