1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Real Estate 4-year Degrees

Discussion in 'Appraisal Education' started by Ty Barton, Mar 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ty Barton

Ty Barton New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Hello,

I've been a part-time student for years and am finally nearing my goal of receiving a BA degree. At this point, I have enough credits that could generally be used for any degree plan that is available. I was wondering, are there any colleges or universities in Illinois that offer a 4-year degree in real estate? Does anyone know?

Generally, the schools that I know have just the usual certifications in real estate but not an actual bachelors degree. I'm also aware of Northwestern's masters program in real estate but they don't offer a bachelors degree in real estate. Other schools only offer real estate as a part of another program (i.e.: risk management, or finance).

Anybody know of anything else in IL?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,
    Ty

2. Tony in Ohio

Tony in Ohio Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Ohio
    Hello Ty,

Congratulations on all your hard work and finally getting close. I went both part time and full time and I think it was harder when I went part time.

I don’t have the answer to your question but check out the business and architecture schools at the larger universities. They may be able to offer you a smaller program that fits, but may be named something that you would not think to search for. My degree in Real Estate and Urban Analysis was a small offshoot of the Finance school at the Ohio State University, but it was small enough, and the school was big enough, that the general counselors may not have even been aware of it.

Another possible avenue is to check with the grad schools in social services or public policy; they may be familiar with such programs across the state.

3. OCApp

OCApp Member

Jan 19, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    can't really help you. ii satisfiied the requirements for a bs degree in accounting and also in finance with a real estate option. chose to put accounting on the degree because at the time (mid/late 1970s it was very marketable). ended up going into real estate. oh well.

4. PL1957

PL1957 Senior Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Illinois
  5. Ty Barton

Ty Barton New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    All,

Thanks for your advice. I apologize for the delay in responding.

I contacted DePaul University and have had one meeting with an advisor. Thanks to PL Norusis for this recommendation. I've met with the School of New Learning and have another appointment scheduled with the School of Commerce. Your recommendation was the reason I was able to find these two programs!

Regards,
    Ty

6. TC

TC Elite Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    School of Real Estate
    Walter E. Heller College of Business Administration

Chicago is known for its world-class architecture, which includes historic landmarks as well as contemporary developments. The city needs a School of Real Estate to prepare the next generation of architects, city planners and developers to continue a tradition that echoes Daniel Burnham's goal, in which Chicago "makes no little plans".
    Mayor Richard M. Daley

The Chicago School of Real Estate is the newest school within the College of Business Administration. The Chicago School of Real Estate’s mission is to raise the quality bar within the real estate profession. Our aim is to create career opportunities and enhance the resource base for the industry through a diversified program that attracts the best and the brightest of individuals to the school.

The School offers two academic programs. The first is a Masters of Business Administration degree with a concentration in Real Estate. For those who already possess a Masters degree in a related field there is our Certificate in Commercial Real Estate Development. For fall, 2005, we are planning another degree in addition to the MBA / Real Estate Concentration, a Masters in Real Estate Development and Planning. This degree will allow us to offer more specialized classes and an inter-disciplinary approach combining urban economics with "hands-on" real estate. For more information, click on "From the Director’s Desk."

7. Ty Barton

Ty Barton New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    TC,

Thanks for your post, I will definitely do some research into Roosevelt. I do have one question: Are these programs all Masters level? I don't have my 4-year degree yet so this wouldn't appeal to me if they are graduate programs. Please advise.

Thanks,
    Ty

8. Paul K Moy

Paul K Moy Sophomore Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    From what I've researched, there isn't much in Illinois for the bachelor's level. I know that UIC has a master's as well as Roosevelt.

Have you considered going to University of Wisconsin in Madison? It appears they have a strong undergraduate as well as graduate program. Don't know if you're willing to go up there though...

9. lisagruhot

lisagruhot Junior Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
  10. Ty Barton

Ty Barton New Member

Mar 1, 2005
    All,

Thanks for the advice on this subject as it has greatly helped in my research and decision.

I have decided to pursue my BA through DePaul University's School of New Learning. Both Roosevelt and Northwestern have graduate classes in real estate so I could not pursue those avenues at this time.

Regards,
    Ty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.