1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Recertification for USPAP Instructors

Discussion in 'Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP' started by DWiley, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DWiley

DWiley Senior Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Tennessee
    I just finished the online recertification course for USPAP instructors. I was wondering if anyone else had taken it, and if so, what were your thoughts?

2. leelansford

leelansford Elite Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    I have yet to do it...but, I'll be most interested in learning your impression of it.

3. VolcanoLvr

VolcanoLvr Senior Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Washington
    It's available now??

At the Seattle ASB meeting, it was mentioned it would be available on Oct. 1.

Does the course contain a 'test' or is it just an overview of the '10-11 changes?

4. Michigander

Michigander Senior Member

Oct 23, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Michigan
    Not available for any MAC browser :(

5. DWiley

DWiley Senior Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Tennessee
    I was a little surprised when I got an email from TAF yesterday saying that it was now available. I was very curious about the program, so last night I sat on the sceened porch and enjoyed a great cigar, a fine class of wine, and the instructor recertification process.

The course contains a review of policies, a review of USPAP changes, and a review of changes to the 7-hour and 15-hour courses. The recert course includes one feature that I think will spark some debate, but I don't want to mention it just yet. I want to see if others have the same observation without me mentioning it.

The whole system is new, so I was not totally surprised that I ran into a couple of technical glitches - nothing major. I have a comment or two that I intend to send to TAF, but overall I think the program should accomplish the goal.

6. Louis Pompeo

Louis Pompeo Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Mariana Islands
    Same here....was at the TAFAC meeting last week & they said not till Oct 1st.....

Will do it tonight

7. George Hatch

George Hatch Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    California
    I'm slammed with work - I'm going to wait until the weekend.

8. Mike Garrett RAA

Mike Garrett RAA Elite Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    i printed out the email instructions but haven't gone on-line yet...got way too many assignments to finish. Hope that isn't an excuse in the next 90 days.

Was really undecided if I was going to renew but then we lost one of our USPAP instructors to FHA last month leaving just me for Colorado Springs so I guess I will do one more cycle. Had 34 in my last 7 hour which was a pleasant surprise.

9. Don Clark

Don Clark Elite Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Virginia
    Question. Are we expected to finish in 1 sitting or can you stop at a certain point and come back later to finish? Like George and Mike, I simply don't have the time right now to go through the process. Maybe in a couple of weeks.

10. DWiley

DWiley Senior Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Tennessee
    You do not have to finish in one session. I did the first module or two at the office and finished it out on my screened deck after I got home.

I think I recall seeing an estimate of four hours to complete the course. I think the time required will depend on how fast one reads, and, more importantly, how closely one has followed ASB activities over the past two years. A person who has followed the Exposure Drafts and Q&As very closely will probably take less time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.