1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Reported to Investigation Bureau

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by Caitlyn Stuart, Nov 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caitlyn Stuart

Caitlyn Stuart Sophomore Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    I just received notification that I've been reported to the Bureau of Enforcement and Investigation.

Did an inspection on behalf of a bank - borrower is disappointed in the value. Borrower wanted to discuss the appraisal with me of which I told her any descrepancies with the report had to be directed through the bank.

I guess she didn't like my response and probably not the response from the bank.

So - now I have to take the time to submit all sorts of documentation to the State.

In my opinion - I was hired by the bank - paid by the bank - the bank owns the appraisal - so why do I have to respond to the customer's complaint?

Oh, also she made a statement during the inspection that she recently had an appraisal done with another bank of which came in substantially lower than one she had several years ago and she stated she reported the bank to the commission of banking. Huh?

Any opinions?

2. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    I doubt if anything will come of it. Most boards don't give any regard to value disputes.

3. dspur59

dspur59 Sophomore Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Lots of 'em. But most arnt printable, much less appropriate for public discourse. Sounds like they have you trapped into spending your valuable time and money to defend yourself. If you win, countersue.

4. panappr

panappr Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    My opinion is.... Since we have lost our ability to communicate with third parties we are helpless to navigate away from such troubles. My clients used to be a good buffer between me and the borrower, but now I really don't even know my clients, and it seems they would just as soon throw me under the bus.:unsure:

5. panappr

panappr Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Lately every appraisal is a trap...m2:

6. Lloyd Bonafide

Lloyd Bonafide Senior Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    If the State wants your file, just send it to them. But don't worry about it for one second.

7. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Elite Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    Any opinions?

Immediately notify your E&O Carrier - let THEM guide you. Recommend no further PUBLIC DISCUSSION. The Internet has "eyes".

8. leelansford

leelansford Elite Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois

Any opinions? Yes. If it had been me, the moment the homeowner shared that bit of information with me, I would have declined the assignment. Seriously.

And, of course, you are not responding the the "customer's complaint", you are responding to your state's licensing agency.

9. Carnivore

Carnivore Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    Absolutley, a sure sign of trouble ahead!

Good advice to always keep in the back of our minds this day forward.

10. NORTON

NORTON Senior Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    let the investigators know how u wish u could talk to the borrower but the rules / governing bodies state you CAN NOT FOR ANY REASON DISCUSS PROPERTY DETAILS....AND THEN STEER THEM TO THE STATE CAPTIAL APPRAISAL DEPARTMENT. and then just for kicks....print a few charts of the county, zip code, etc....during the prior two years and make that arrow big and red showing down for the prior 24 months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.