1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Residential Bankruptcy Appraisal

Discussion in 'Urgent - Help Needed' started by Kevin Welch, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Welch

Kevin Welch Sophomore Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Can someone help me with what form to use, who is the client and what is the purpose of the report

Thanks

2. Denis DeSaix

Denis DeSaix Elite Member

May 16, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    California
    (my bold)

To answer the first question (what form?) you need to determine the two bolded questions. :)

However, if the assignment is not for a mortgage finance transaction, then if you decide to communicate it on a form-formatted report, I'd recommend a form that is not designed for mortgage finance transactions.

3. Mike Boyd

Mike Boyd Elite Member

Jan 18, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Kevin....

In the past, I used the old 1004. However, since that time, there is a general purpose form provided with most appraisal software. That form would probably be preferable. The client is from whom you received the order. It might be the attorney representing the bankrupt entity, it might be the trustee and it might be the Federal Bankruptcy Court. Most likely, the trustee.

The purpose would be to identify and estimate the market value of the property for which the appraisal was ordered. You should quote the definition of market value in your scope of work.

4. David Wimpelberg

David Wimpelberg Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Mar 30, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    I don't use preprinted forms for this type of assignment...these assignments have their way of finding themselves in a courtroom, and I prepare them accordingly.

5. Walter Kirk

Walter Kirk Senior Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    New Jersey
    I do lots of residential bankrupcy appraisals. I report them on the AI form. In most cases the client is the attorney and the intended use is for bankrupcy action, however this depends on the type of bankrupcy filed and whether you are simply hired by one side or appointed by the court.

6. tjcou812

tjcou812 Junior Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Connecticut
    Most of the residential bankruptcy appraisal orders I get are from the homeowner. When I ask them how they were referred to me, 80% tell me that their attorney siad for them to look for a appraisal company themselves. So with that said, 80% of the reports are in the homeowners name that I do.

7. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arkansas
    do you have trouble getting paid?

8. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Elite Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    this was really a "trick quiz" right? :leeann:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  9. Jim Onderisin

Jim Onderisin Senior Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    I've used the AI forms, too. I've taken cash payment in advance. I've also taken personal checks with the understanding they don't get the report or the value until the check clears.

10. Walter Kirk

Walter Kirk Senior Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    New Jersey
    Terrel,
    In answer to your question about getting paid; Some attorneys collect the appraisal fee from the client and pay me on delivery. Some just tell the client to pay me (the report doesn't get delivered until the check clears). In a small number of cases the court appoints me and the judge approves my bill and orders the trustee to pay me. In a few cases I have allowed people to pay in installments (if I see that they are really in bad financial condition)and most have paid in full.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.