Roof Inspection

Discussion in 'FHA/HUD and VA' started by bbr711, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbr711

bbr711 Sophomore Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Tennessee
    I appraised a property for an FHA-Insured reverse mortgage and made the appraisal subject to a roof inspection - CB4.

When questioned by the underwriter as to why a roof inspection would be required, I reiterated: "The appraiser is not a roof expert, the roof appears to be nearing the end of its age-life. A roof expert will need to inspect the roof to determine its remaining utility and report on any needed repairs and/or replacement."

The underwriter responded with, "Thank you for your follow up. Please remove the comment about the roof or comment as to why you feel it needs to be inspected. You state you are not a roof expert but then say the roof appears to be nearing the end of it's economic life but don't state why you feel that way. If you can't say why you feel that way then the comment should be removed because as you state you are not a roof expert, so how can you determine it is near the end of it's economic life without specific reasons. There has to be a reason why you feel the roof is nearing the end of it's economic life and they just want you to comment on it so they can order a roof inspection."

I've never been asked to provide further detail when requiring a roof inspection... My opinion that the roof appears to warrant inspection has been enough in the past.

I'm open to education if that's what I need. Am I being ambiguous with my explanation of why the roof needs an inspection? Do I need to offer more detail in the future?

Your guidance and help are greatly appreciated!

2. Randolph Kinney

Randolph Kinney Elite Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    What kind of roof and material is it? What is the typical life for such a roof (source)? How old is the roof? Are their any visible signs showing wear or deterioration?

The following provides a basis for rendering an opinion about asphalt shingles.

[​IMG]

This document is a chapter of Asphalt Shingles Home Page: which tells readers how to identify & explain the most-common asphalt roof shingle failures.

http://www.inspectapedia.com/roof/shingles.htm

3. Barney2

Barney2 Sophomore Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Virginia
    I'd just tell them why I thought it was nearing the end of its life. Were there curled or deteriorated shingles? Blistering or bumps observed? Excessive loss of the granules? Evidence of leaking inside?

If I didn't see any deterioration, I wouldn't feel the need to comment on the requirement for an additional inspection.

4. Michigan CG

Michigan CG Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nov 1, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Michigan
    Read the underwriter request again as I have edited and tell me he is not being reasonable.

If you are going to call for a repair or inspection it is reasonable for the reader of the report and the person who is going to have to pay for the inspection/repair to know why you are asking for it.

Explanations and photos go a long way towards credibility.

5. rcsone

rcsone Senior Member

May 26, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Oklahoma
    ...pictures......rs

6. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Send this to the underwriter...

Nothing else needs to be said or explained. You did your job. Now they have to do their job.

7. Lloyd Bonafide

Lloyd Bonafide Senior Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    If the roof is not leaking, but looks like it's just about done with, you can always recommend an inspection instead of requiring it, and as others have said, include several pictures. With as picky as underwriters are today, a recommendation is probably going to result in a roof inspection, but let the UW make the call if it's not leaking now.

8. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Lloyd... this is BS (not your comment but rather what the "underwriter" is trying to pull off).

A real DEU can just make the appraisal condition go away during the DEU's review of the appraisal (Form 54114). Whoever is giving the OP grief over conditioning the appraisal on a smple roof inspection is obviously not a legitimate direct endorsement underwriter.

If conditions are enough to cause some concern on the part of the appraiser then the client needs to take care of business. It's part of the FHA way.

9. Michigan CG

Michigan CG Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nov 1, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Michigan
    I am not picking on the OP or Greg but if someone is going to say in an appraisal report the property needs a roof (or any other) inspection there should be at least a sentence or two why with a couple photos.

If an appraiser cannot identify what the POTENTIAL problem is then they have no business asking for an inspection.

I had a similar situation two weeks ago with a couple barns and the subject house. I informed the lander and included a five page letter with multiple pictures and what the potential and obvious problems were. It took me 20 minutes.

Appraisers need to remember we are in the service industry, we are the eyes of the lender and we have obligations.

My lender thanked me and I sent them an invoice for services rendered to that point. The assignment will most likely turn into a 403k and my fees for the assignment will now be about $500+. I earned the fees by giving the lender what they need.

10. james stephens

james stephens Junior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Georgia
    As appraisers, and homeowners, I think we have a pretty good idea when a roof is in the final stage of its useful economic life. Respond back with something like,

"Based on my experience as a real estate appraiser, roofs that look like the Subject roof may have anywhere from 1 - 5 years of remaining economic life."

And of course include a couple of photos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.