1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Room Count In An Appraisal

Discussion in 'Ask an Appraiser' started by Pamela Chandler, Jul 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pamela Chandler

Pamela Chandler New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    :question: I recently had an appraisal done on my home in Prince George's County for a refinance. I live in a rambler-style house which has one full and one half bath upstairs and the basement has another full bath (total 2.5 baths). On my summary sheet, it says that I have 1.5 baths; also, on the "comparables" page it only lists 1.5 baths. The diagram does show all of them. When I questioned my loan officer, he said that his supervisor told him that the appraiser does not count any rooms below ground level, and that the appraiser at least gave me the correct square footage. Also, the report says that I have six rooms, when I have (1) kitchen (2) master BR (3) BR (4) BR (5) full bath (6) half bath (7) combination LR/DR. This doesn't make sense to me either. Please advise whether these two items were entered correctly--I'll gladly show the diagram to anyone who can help. Thanks...

2. Randy Beigh

Randy Beigh Senior Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Pamela

Welcome to the forum.

The basement and basement rooms are, indeed, counted, but counted separate from the above grade rooms. When you get a copy of the report, you will see the form is divided for above and below grade.

Room counts do not include bathrooms, foyers, or laundry. So it would appear that you have a kitchen, 3 bedrooms, living room, dining room, or 6 rooms.

Hope this helps.

3. TC

TC Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    Damn, almost posted but Randy beat me to it. What he said B)

4. Pamela Chandler

Pamela Chandler New Member

Jul 26, 2005
    :D Randy and TC: Thanks!!! I went back through the report and saw what you were saying, Randy, and now it makes sense...And thanks for the welcome, Randy--I see I can learn a lot from coming back...

Pamela

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.