1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Seller Concession Adjustments.

Discussion in 'Urgent - Help Needed' started by kristofer, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kristofer

kristofer New Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Colorado
    I am now confused on when to adjust for seller paid concessions. :shrug: I was told by a client that they wanted a dollar for dollar adjustment. I was taught to adjust by the impact it has on the market, which I am now confused about as well. Can anybody give me some guidance and maybe some examples?

2. RSW

RSW Elite Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Tennessee
    Some appraisers do a $ for $ adjustment and some adjust for the difference of what is typical for the market and what was paid. Others may do it even differently. I typically adjust $ for $ as that is the concession being made by the seller. Each sale is unique to itself and I adjust accordingly based upon the sale.

3. Webbed Feet

Webbed Feet Elite Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Professional Status:
    It might also be related to the fact I have yet to read any SFR appraisal report wherein the author had any proof whatsoever that the adjustment should not be dollar for dollar. Rather, I have only read nimrod boiler plate statements that concessions in the market are "typical" so therefore no adjustments for concessions were made at all. This of course assures the final opinion of value will be higher. However, "typically" in such reports I also found the appraiser involved not so much as reporting finanacing concessions anywhere from $4,000 to $18,000 per comparable transaction and their report was forwarded right to the state appraisal board. The board fined them nicely later too.

So far, so much for "Typical."

Webbed.

4. leelansford

leelansford Elite Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    If you e-mail at (remove the spaces) Lansford @ ameritech. net I will provide you with an article on the topic of "concessions to the buyer".

5. Webbed Feet

Webbed Feet Elite Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Professional Status:
  6. VolcanoLvr

VolcanoLvr Senior Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Washington
    Pull open any current Fannie/Fredddie report form...1004, 2055, etc.

Focus your eyeballs on the Def. of Market Value, concentrating on sentence (5), and the sentence following with the *.

You may not 'need' to make a dollar-for-dollar adjustment, but you certainly 'can.'

Then make the adjustment on line 2 in the grid.

7. leelansford

leelansford Elite Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois

Kristofer, my offer remains open.

8. Mztk1

Mztk1 Senior Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    The only times I haven't done dollar for dollar adjustments is when the concession wasn't cash. Had four years of guaranteed rent at $2,500 per month when the market rent was $1,500/month, plus had $8,000 of furniture included in the same sale. A dollar for dollar adjustment would have been $56,000 but the market reaction I measured was about $18,000. All recent sales (10 of them) in the development had these concessions. Though it was now "typical" it still needed to be measured and adjusted.

I also question whether a $4,620 towards buyer's closing costs isn't better adjusted at $4,600, but then I second guess myselfbecause it seems arbitrary that I didn't round to $4,500 or even $5,000. It takes out the guess work to just go dollar for dollar when the concession is flat out cash.

9. RSW

RSW Elite Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Tennessee
    I have to agree with you there, Jim. I was thinking of closing costs and pre-paids being paid by the seller when I said $ for $.

10. Lawrence R.

Lawrence R. Senior Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    South Carolina
    How do you measure the market's reaction for a specific set of 2 year old furniture?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.