1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Should I become a MAI without state certification

Discussion in 'Newbies/Appraiser WannaBe' started by krazed286, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krazed286

krazed286 New Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Professional Status:
    Appraiser Trainee
    State:
    New York
    Hi I am currently work for a certified general appraiser doing both residential and commercial work for 3 years. I did not apply for the state certification because the experience could not be applied retroactively, but for the MAI it can be. So I was wondering if having a MAI is of any value without the state certification. I have no intention of becoming a independent appraiser but intend to go into corporate world how much weight does having a MAI hold mainly in the financial industry, the Big4 Accounting firms or real estate asset management firms. Also how well does having a MAI go with having a CPA license.

2. Pittsburgh Pete

Pittsburgh Pete Elite Member

May 6, 2008
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    There are many opportunities for an MAI without a certification. You mention several of them. Good luck to you--the MAI is a goal worth pursuing.

3. mgalleshaw

mgalleshaw Sophomore Member

May 10, 2009
    Professional Status:
    IT Professional-Appraisal Related
    State:
    North Carolina
    One nice thing about designations from the Appraisal Institute: you can place them on an inactive status and they can be reinstated later (if then current continuing education standards are met.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.