1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Six condo units

Discussion in 'Urgent - Help Needed' started by teknekjeff, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teknekjeff

teknekjeff Sophomore Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    California
    I am being asked to do the appraisal on six condo units in a twenty unit project. All six of the units are under the same ownership. I was told by the client I have to provide an addendum addressing the following issue. with 5 or more units, federal regulations require an appraisal reflecting holding/sellout costs and appropriate discounts. Can anyone comment on this requirement.

2. Restrain

Restrain Elite Member

Jan 22, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    I would not try to argue. Rather, incorporate this in your SOW, and proceed onwards. Look at the probable absorption rate, marketing costs, holding costs, etc, to generate your discount.

3. Don Clark

Don Clark Elite Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Virginia
    Have NOT run across thios before. However, I would suggest consultation with a general partnership in a CondoTel operation. I would bet bthey know what is required as they deal with multiple owners, and likely have sold 5 or more units at a time. I might also suggest that a financial consultant might know what paperwork is required.

To be honest, it sounds more like you need to get that information from the owner of multiple units. Once you know exactly what is required you can likely produce what they want. I have done several units in a CondoTel in the past but no current experience.

4. teknekjeff

teknekjeff Sophomore Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Thank you for the comments. Have any of you heard of this federal requirement. If so, do you know where I can find it.

5. Pittsburgh Pete

Pittsburgh Pete Elite Member

May 6, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    Conceivably two different approaches--one acknowledges the discount inherent in the sale of multiple units to a single buyer--the other acknowledges selling them off over time to six separate buyers which would require acknowledging holding costs, costs of sales, and the time value of money.

6. Pittsburgh Pete

May 6, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    Don't know of the requirement. However, general appraisal theory would dictate acknowledging the discounts or the holding/sellout costs.

7. Restrain

Restrain Elite Member

Jan 22, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    This may be a federal banking reg. We had this a lot in commercial appraisals during the 80's.

8. Pittsburgh Pete

May 6, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    R41-C?...............

9. Ken B

Ken B Elite Member

Feb 18, 2004
    Professional Status: