1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Special Hearings Begin Tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Oregon' started by Roscoeman, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roscoeman

Roscoeman Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Oregon
    Let's all keep our fingers crossed that tomorrow the hearings will go well!

Does anyone know if these types of sessions are televised or recorded?

Thanks.

2. Tom Barclay

Tom Barclay Senior Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Oregon
  3. Webbed Feet

Webbed Feet Elite Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Professional Status:
    What good would be watching recordings of what went on, when what was needed would be the physical presence of real estate appraisers to show the committee our trade itself actually cares enough to show up?

All the hair pulling and chest beating that goes on in threads.... all of it I hear in CE and association meetings... but maybe 20 of us had the time and gumption to physically show up and care....

m2:

4. LI-Appr

LI-Appr Senior Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    I see a New Duck WOW

5. Roscoeman

Roscoeman Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Oregon
    Webbed,

Could not make it yesterday, as I had work!

Appraisers were there, but only a very few!

We put the word out and like typical it like herding cats...

Oh well, at least I can say I did try to get something done!

6. firstchoiceappraisal

firstchoiceappraisal Junior Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Professional Status:
    Appraisal Management Company
    State:
    Oregon
    I was impressed with the showing that was there. The presence was felt in the room. I don't really feel like enough time was given to actually talk about why the issue is actually an issue. But, I think we're going to have a bill :)

7. Webbed Feet

Webbed Feet Elite Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Professional Status:
    What went right:

The witnesses that were able to make it up to speak did a fine job. Mr. Keith pulled some key elements together and did a respectable job in the very limited amount of time available.

What was short of the mark:

Not enough was stressed about how it is Oregon consumers that have become a very damaged party due to the lack of regulation over AMCs. I believe a bit too much preparation about the affect on the appraisal trade and not enough on consumers and relating what this means to Oregon overall in terms of economic damage relative to the damage to the small busineses of appraisers, loss of discretionary spending dollars of the consumers, and loss of taxes to Oregon from appraisers. A bit less self-serving and "for the greater good" message on our part would have played better for myself and the committee I would think. But just my thoughts on it.

Financial Lobby Offer:

The financial lobby responded by saying they could support our bill if we adopt a version that they proceeded to strip everything out of our bill they possibly could and still keep a straight face about saying their left overs would be meaningful.

So the games afoot Watson! If we shan't let Moriarity win the day, we'll need unswerving courage and strength of numbers. Perhaps the board can threaten to revoke the licenses of any appraiser that doesn't show up next time...:shrug:

8. Webbed Feet

Webbed Feet Elite Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Agreed. But just "a bill" isn't enough. We need the correct bill.

9. firstchoiceappraisal

Feb 11, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Oregon
    Yea the financial lobby was funny. I did love how Representative Matthews asked him what on earth was the reason for 24 hour turn times if there is no possible benefit to the consumer. His response was I don't know. BAH HA HA HA!!!

I did find Karl Royer's testimony honest and to the point. I do agree that there should have been more about why using the experienced and competent appraiser protects the consumer over using the one who is cheap and fast.

10. firstchoiceappraisal

Feb 11, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Oregon
    Agreed. But just "a bill" isn't enough. We need the correct bill.

ITA!! This is when I wish we didn't have every other year sessions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.