1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Special Master Sale? What's this?

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by Jill Kinnaird, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill Kinnaird

Jill Kinnaird Junior Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Ohio
    While doing a bit of research I found a prior cash sale from an individual to a well known lender (whose intials begin with WF) for a single parcel transfer. The county auditor 'conditions of sale' notes it as being a 'Special Master Sale'. Have I been looking at the computer to long? Has my head cold finally won?

What the blazes does 'Special Master Sale' mean? This is Hamilton County in beautiful Cincinnati, Ohio. Tom Fiehler, where are you when you're needed!

2. Thomas Fiehler

Thomas Fiehler Senior Member

Jun 2, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Ohio
    I'm here-for what its worth! I've never heard of it. When I have questions, I send their office an email or just call them. They are likely closed for today but I have found them to be very helpful. If you need some grunt work (no comment from the Joker) I would be happy to help-tomorrow. Just let me know what you need.

3. Hamlet

Hamlet Elite Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Ohio
    Jill,

I've done some foreclosure appraisals for the US District Court. The attorney who is appointed is called the Special Master, so I would assume that is what you are looking at.

4. Calvin the Airedale

Calvin the Airedale Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Ohio
    A judge has appointed a "special master" to oversee the disposition of an asset, a company or other complex legal remedy. The special master acts in a fiduciary capacity and is answerable to the judge.

5. Jill Kinnaird

Jill Kinnaird Junior Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Ohio
    Isn't there some kind of PC law that says you're not allowed to have slaves and masters anymore? I'm sure I should know the answer to this being that I'm in one of the most conservative PC climates in the country.

6. Mike Boyd

Mike Boyd Elite Member

Jan 18, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    California
    I believe the "Special Master" is like a trustee and acts in a neutral capacity.

7. PropertyEconomics

PropertyEconomics Elite Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico

Old terms dont, or shouldnt have to be changed because "young" people are offended by them. Everyone has adequately explained what a "Special Master" is ... no matter how the PC feel about the term. It is what it is.

8. EVAUSA

EVAUSA Junior Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    "special" = handicapped
    "master" = slave owner

or: "handicapped slave owner", there you have it.

9. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arkansas
    Don't tell that to my transmission... My clutch has a slave cylinder and a master cylinder..
    :rof:

10. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Elite Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    http://mediate.com/articles/kellerc.cfm

Special masters are a unique brand of dispute-resolver relatively unknown to many mediators, facilitators, and public officials. A special master is appointed by a judge to oversee one or more aspects of litigation. They may be appointed pre-trial, during trial, or post-trial. Despite their relative anonymity, such masters have been credited with some of the most creative and innovative conflict resolution within the history of the U.S. legal system.

http://topics.law.cornell.edu/wex/Special_master

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.