1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Square Footage Measuremnt Of Historic Home

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by sharon arnold, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharon arnold

sharon arnold New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Texas
    I measured a historic home today and used ANSI guidelines (have for years now). Once I returned home, I noted that the MLS listing stated the home was about 400 sf larger than what I had measured (measurement done by previous appraiser and put in MLS). I compared the two drawings and found we were about 6 sf different on the lower level, but close to 400 sf different on the upper level. I'm stumped. I typically utilize ANSI guidelines...however, the realtor's words were that I "should be a little lienient because it is a historic home" and their nature is to have nooks and crannies... The other appraiser measured wall to wall. So...what's a girl to do in this situation? Some of the wall heights were around 3 feet...steep pitched roof. HELP!

2. Smokey Bear

Smokey Bear Elite Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    What was the total GLA? (How far were you off, percentage wise?)

3. sharon arnold

sharon arnold New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    The other appraiser's sf was 2497...mine (using ANSI) was 2054...crazy...I know!

4. leelansford

leelansford Elite Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    Things must be different in your neck of the woods.

Where I sit, I wouldn't give a second thought to the disparity other than in this particular instance explaining my approach to measurement and calculation. Additionally, I would be consistent in my reporting and analysis of the sales comparisons.

5. Jerry Bone Jr

Jerry Bone Jr Senior Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Oregon
    Your comparable sale data will use which standard? ANSI or "be a little lienient because it is a historic home" ? You're going to want to compare apples to apples.
    In my area, the most reliable square footage data is from the county assessor. Therefore i do it similar to them.

6. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Elite Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    :icon_idea: Edit your post and attach photo - worth a thousand guesses......

If unable to edit your first or second post, suggest a third with photo .....

Given the age of the dwelling and your last sentence above..... odds are the second level is most likely LESS than a full story ( I.E. 1.7 story or possibly 1.5 given the roof pitch). The assertion that the other appraiser measured "wall to wall" MAY account for the GLA Variance....... IF ....he factored the second floor GLA as a FULL story...

"The administrator may allow you to use the attachment feature of this forum, which gives you the ability to attach files of certain types to your posts. This could be an image, a text document, a zip file etc. There will be a limit to the file size of any attachments you make.
    To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Manage Attachments] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.
    After posting, the image attachments may display a thumbnail, depending on the forum settings. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon."

P.S. the realtor's supposedly "helpful" suggestion and the other appraiser's opinion have ZERO bearing on YOUR opinion.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  7. Debra Sampson

Debra Sampson Sophomore Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    Since you are confident that your sketch/measurements reflect the ANSI guidelines, I wouldn't fret it too much. Of course the realtor wants you to be lenient, she is being an advocate for her client and a higher GLA will improve the estimate of value most likely. IMO, disclose the discrepancy since it is on the MLS sheet. If you are in an area where the assessor's GLA is published as well, disclose that, and then state the measuring standards you used. This way you are acknowledging that there is a difference but you are confident in your measurement of the property. You could state that the sketch was provided by the list agent for you to review but I would just hold on to that info and if a reviewer/underwriter wants more info you can send/explain it later. When there are large discrepancies between my results and a published source I try to hedge off any questions by acknowledging them and moving on.

8. PropertyEconomics

PropertyEconomics Elite Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    New Mexico

My question would be how do "market participants" treat this space? ANSI is not known generally to buyers ... I would reflect the size of the improvements based on how "market participants" treat them and I would conclude and report it as such.

9. TEL2002

TEL2002 Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Louisiana
    When I had those steep pitched roof situations, I drew the GLA area, then I drew in separate areas and marked them as low roof areas...not included in GLA due to ANSI standards. This showed that I did measure wall to wall & did not include x% of the area due to ANSI standards. Never had a complaint.

10. Smokey Bear

Smokey Bear Elite Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Betcha if yours was the higher GLA, no one would be asking you to 'be flexible'. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.