1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Staff Appraiser

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by BlackLabs, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackLabs

BlackLabs Sophomore Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Massachusetts
    Does anyone out there work as a staff appraiser? I was recently approached by a company looking to add a staff appraiser.

I currently do 99% of my work as a subcontractor with a pretty fair split. But the possibility of 401k, flex medical account, paid MLS, paid vacation and some other minor perks sounds good. The selling point for me was that they pay 7.6% social security which, when added to the split they pay comes pretty close to my current split.

Thanks.

2. BRCJR

BRCJR Senior Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Virginia
    I am staff for a community bank. I only review, does get boring at times, but it is a good fit for me.
    The loss of your time management is about the only negative, in my opinion.
    It is an ok trade for full-time with benefits, I have a liberal vacation policy and bank holiday's are good.

3. LordofTexas

LordofTexas Junior Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    I was a national bank appraiser, then reviewer, then appraiser for 4 different banks over the first 19 years; then a staff reviewer for a mortgage firm; then a 4 man firm; and now on my own. I miss the salary, paid vacation, lack of bookwork, paying for E & O, my own gas, my own wear and tear on the personal car; etc.

But, playing golf and taking vacation whenever is out with a firm. That's what I like about my own company.

Not many staff bank appraisers left although there are a few.

4. AnonApprsr

AnonApprsr Elite Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Massachusetts
    If you're doing a fee split now, than maybe but probably not. If you're getting a full fee, than no, don't do it.

5. ZZGAMAZZ

ZZGAMAZZ Senior Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    $20 co-pay for a dental crown on a group policy sure beats $1,100 co-pay for a private policy with a premium of $400 - $500 per month.

6. residentialguy

residentialguy Elite Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Minnesota
    Try brushing :icon_mrgreen:

7. Peter LeQuire

Peter LeQuire Elite Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Tennessee
    That's harsh, and at the same time incomplete - flossing is also highly recommended.

8. zdfenton

zdfenton Junior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin
    I was a staff at World Savings long ago, which was a wonderful gig, lots of good training, bennies, and they treated their appraisers like kings. But I don't think staff jobs like that exist any more. Most staff jobs now seem like a backdoor rather than actually caring about their collateral

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Georgia
    I have a sever allergy to florescent lighting that is so common in cubicles. :icon_mrgreen:
    Have been through many ups and downs as a fee appraiser/consultant, and I just don't know if I can tolerate a W9 lifestyle making less than I do on my own. Although, I was a contract appraiser for World back in the day and they truly were a fantastic bank to have as an client or employer. If I had to take a W9 job, it would have to be like them. Respect and appreciation from an employer goes a long way, pretty rare to see in todays corporate climate.

10. tr05

tr05 New Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Minnesota
    I don't think it is a bad move depending on who you are going to work for. If it is a bank, I say jump at it. I know alot of appraisers who are happy with their bank jobs, especially if it is a local or small regional bank. If it is for one of the appraiser mills or AMC's out there I would not even consider it. Stay away from the Forsythe's, TSI's, and William Fall Groups of the world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.