1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Test your home for RADON

Discussion in 'General Real Estate and Real Estate Finance' started by JT1974, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JT1974

JT1974 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin
    I just tested my 2-year old house for RADON and I got an elevated reading. I will be having the problem corrected soon, but in the mean time I wanted to encourage everyone on the forum to have your house tested for RADON.

You can buy the do-it-yourself test kit at Home Depot for about $10 and it costs about $30 to send it in to be analyzed. Testing is super easy as you just set two little canisters in your basement for 4 days, then screw the caps on and drop 'em in the mail.

Spending the $40 to get my house tested was well worth it in my opinion. Once I get my problem corrected it will be as if I quit smoking 1/2 pack of Cigs per day.

Now go to Home Depot and buy yourself a RADON test kit.

:peace:

2. JTip

JTip Senior Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    Radon is a scam. Snake oil I tell you.

I sold a home a couple months ago, dual agent, suggested the normal tests, radon included. Test came back in the 60's. Had to get it mediated.

Funny thing is the old folks that lived there since '77, new construction, and spent most of their retired time in the basement watching tv. They are 90+ years old now and in perfect health. No tumors, no cancer. They were both totally bald though....

Get your home tested TODAY!

3. Stone

Stone Elite Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Wisconsin
    While I recognize that there is some serious debate about the impact of radon, this is just a silly argument. There are two-pack a day, whiskey swilling, bacon-eating guys out there who live to ripe old age. So? There are exceptions to every health rule and anectdotal stories mean nothing.

4. Michigan CG

Michigan CG Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nov 1, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Michigan
    So I have a chance at old age? :new_all_coholic:

5. Stone

Stone Elite Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Wisconsin
    I'm hoping. :new_smile-l:

6. dobie

dobie Senior Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    New Jersey
    Some years ago when I was doing home inspections and had a radon technician license I remember from the classroom training that the risks we associate with radon are based on some very dated statistics from coal miners in Sweden(?). (it was miners in some European country)

I don't believe there is any recent strong data supporting a link between radon and lung cancer

There is still a lot of debate about how valid the epidimiological evidence is. Nevertheless it's here to stay. Most people accept that it's a danger without really knowing the science or lack of, behind it. But that's true for a lot of things we take for granted.

Junk science is all around us.

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Georgia
    According to some, we are completely screwed since we have granite counter tops! Gotta run and finish my tin foil hat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.