1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Texas Manufactured Housing Title info

Discussion in 'Manufactured Housing' started by Tim Hicks (Texas), Feb 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Hicks (Texas)

Tim Hicks (Texas) Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Texas
    FYI, if you know the hud tag number or serial number of a manufactured home in TX, you can go to this site and obtain other title specifics like manufacturer, exact date built, serial number or HUD tag number.

My gift: http://mhweb.tdhca.state.tx.us/mhweb/main.jsp

It does not always work. I had a 1976 hud tag home in bad condition that came up empty on the search. So no serial number, exact date bult, etc. Just my HUD tag info was all I had.

2. Caterina Platt

Caterina Platt Senior Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    Tim,

That is waaaay cool. Now if we could get the surrounding states to do the same. Can't recall how many times the data plate just doesn't exist anymore and you have a lender pitching a fit.

3. Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arizona
    Tim: What were the three Alpha characters at the beginning? The home might have been constructed in a different state--and maybe never titled in Texas. You could check with that inspection agency or company and might be able to get information from them. You can get a list of inspection agencies at:

http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/mhs/mhsid.cfm

4. Tim Hicks (Texas)

Tim Hicks (Texas) Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    I think they were here. TEX was the first three letters.

5. Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arizona
    The state of Texas doesn't have an inspection agency for the construction in the factory. (although they might have in 1976). Private inspection agencies like HWC do them in Texas, the manufacturer contracts with a private inspection agency so it could vary in states that do not have their own. Only AZ, CO, FL, GA, ID, NB, NM, OR, TN & WA have state agencies. I have seen HWC on Clayton Homes built in Texas here in Arizona. You might have a mobile home that was constructed prior to June 15, 1976 and there was an agency that inspected mobile homes in Texas at that time. Rich gave the following example last week at one of his seminars. For example, a factory in Texas was building homes, two homes were under construction at the same time of the same model, same materials, construction, etc, etc, etc--exact duplicates. The one that went out the factory door on June 14, 1976 would be a mobile home because the HUD code had not gone into effect (there might have been a state agency at that time that did the inspections--Arizona had one). The one that went out the factory door on June 16, 1976 would be a manufactured home built and the certification label attached because it was built to the HUD code that went into existence the day before. You might have a June 14, 1976 model and that is why you can't find any HUD information. The June 16 model would be able to get Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, VA, and HUD financing because of the HUD code. The June 14 model would not be able to get any of that type of financing because although a duplicate in every way to the HUD code manufactured home, it was not inspected and certified by a HUD code inspector. That is why that HUD label and now the data plate is so very important to all the lenders!!

What was the rest of the wording on that label you found? It has to be very specific for the HUD code and is the same nation wide.

6. Mary Caffey

Mary Caffey Sophomore Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Tim, Thank you for posting the Texas website for mobile homes

Mary in Texas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.